Pekin Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CRH1223, Dec 14, 2010.

1. CRH1223

CRH1223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    PA
    My female Pekin lays and egg every single day and we always just take them out and either crack them or use them for baking. But are any of these eggs fertilized? If I leave one out there long enough will it hatch? I think the guy at the store told me they were domesticated. Is that even possible?

Sorry for all the questions and if there stupid sorry for that. [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Silly question maybe....But is your second Pekin a drake???

If yes- then the eggs could be fertile- Pekins arent known for the broodiness- but if she did go broody she would have to sit on the egg for 28 days before any viable egg would hatch.

3. CRH1223

CRH1223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    PA
    Yes I have a male and female.

4. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:The only stupid question is the one not asked. We were all newbies at some point. If I was afraid to ask questions because they were stupid I'd never have all the animals I now have (of course DH would probably think that wouldn't be a bad thing [​IMG] )

(eta: 8 ducks, 12 large chickens & 14 bantam chickens! AND they are spread out over 5 coops/runs/yards...)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  5. Hi Chris! No, it won't hatch if you just leave it out there long enough. It needs 28 days of 99 degrees to become a duckling. If you have a duck pair, the eggs should be fertile and hatchable.
    Do you have chickens? A broody chicken can hatch duck eggs just fine. Or an incubator?
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by