Pekin Eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SerenityRachel, Aug 18, 2014.

1. SerenityRachel

SerenityRachel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    Ohio
    Hi Everyone! So we have 3 female Pekin ducks, and we just started getting eggs! I'm assuming only one of the girls is currently laying since we've gotten 1 egg a day for 3 days now. The first egg was teeny tiny, and then the second egg was HUGE! (See picture). Then the third egg was kind of an in-between size. I was expecting the first eggs to be smaller than normal since they just started, but any idea why there's such a discrepancy between the first and second egg? Just curious, thanks! (Oh, and the picture makes the small egg look much darker than it is in real life)

[​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    May not be the same duck either my 5 came into lay in the last 2-2.5wks and the sizing has varied a lot. I could tell when one started and then another.. plus in general i don't always find the eggs to be the same size, every now and then especially when they are either new to laying or coming off a molt or after babies are a few weeks will be double yolkers.

Congrats on the eggs! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  3. KARy408

KARy408 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Livermore, CA
    Hey there! My 4 Pekins are 24 weeks old today, and we started getting eggs about a week ago. We've had 6 eggs total, just about 1/day starting the Friday before last, and then nothing since this Saturday. I thought at least 2 of our girls were laying, Blanche and Rose, as their beaks have developed spots and are turning a paler yellow at the tips. Their bodies show all the signs as well. 2 of the eggs we received were smaller, about the size of a large chicken egg. The remaining eggs were all HUGE and contained double yokes! So I was thinking the big ones came from Blanche, our biggest, most perfect looking Pekin, and that the two smaller ones came from Rose...but those are just my thoughts!? I don't totally know what's normal. But I would tend to think the egg could resemble the duck; you know, the whole "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" business, no?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. KARy408

KARy408 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Livermore, CA
    Oh, here are some pics of our eggs: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by