Pekin falling over

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmilyP, Jun 18, 2016.

1. EmilyP

EmilyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    Our apx 10-11 week old pekin this morning we noticed was having trouble with balance, falling over (forward, backward and to both sides), limping and not able to keep up (worse than usual) with the rest of the ducks. I was worried about bumblefoot but I've checked both of his feet his feet (twice) and there doesn't appear to be any lesions or areas of heat on either foot. He really had a drunk person appearance, he could stand move okay then he would just sort of fall over a bit when he went to move or stumble. We had supplemented niacin when they were younger but had stopped, I gave some more this morning. He also seems to be getting in his adult feathers on his wings but they aren't smooth and straight. This may be coincidental but I thought I would add it in just in case it is related. Thanks!!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    He hasn't really gotten any worse throughout the day it's still just off balance. Unfortunately we doing have any resources to give him a flush tonight but we will try tomorrow. Any suggestions on isolating him from the rest of the birds? He is quite large so we don't have a safe place to put him and they all freak out when you separate them.

4. Carter90

Carter90 New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I had a Pekin duck for a few years.
    Pekin ducks have a genetic weakness caused by human breeding for food production.
    They tend to over eat.

My only recommendations is replace routes that require a jump like steps with a ramp to be easier on the legs.
    Sometimes getting out of ponds can be difficult so make a ramp with concrete or something.

Regulate food intake. I used to give my ducks unlimited food and found that the Peking would just continually eat.
    I'm not saying to starve the duck, but give it the amount that the other ducks are consuming.

Ducks are flock(social) animals they must be with other creatures, I would not recommend isolation.

5. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    He definitely overeats! How do you monitor how much they eat when they are just out free ranging and on the pond? Also our pond is very gradually sloped to get in and out of but we do have a decent hill to go down to it (thanks to the rain this winter washing half the dirt down into the pond). Our 2 smaller ducks pretty much have taken to flying down it but that leaves out pekin (Donald) and welshie clammoring down after them. And our pekin has been super clumsy from the start. I do wonder if he maybe injured his leg(s) since he sometimes refuses to use the steps in their pen to get into the pool and climbs the side of the fence instead. They have also drilled a few holes around the pool which I have covered now but he cannot see his feet and doesn't look where he is going at all and frequently stands right by them trying to jump in to the pool like the small ducks do (mallards have quite a vertical jump!)
    This morning my SO says he seems to be doing better.

6. Carter90

Carter90 New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I primary monitor the food the is in their cage overnight.

Monitoring free range bug eating is not necessary. Its hard to get fat on bugs.

If your leaving food out during the day then look at where the ducks tend to roam.
    When they are together or separate then place the food where its appropriate.
    I have a larger yard and so it was easy for me to notice such behavior.

Honestly the ducks should be able to go through the day without needing Waterfowl Maintenance food.
    For me it was not necessary to until mobility became a huge problem with the duck or when they were locked in a small enclosure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by