Pekin Female randomly stops eating

SamDuck24

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2017
Hey guys so I have a Pekin who is 7 months old. Vets don't know what is wrong with her as she is really small and has had leg problems since a baby. She randomly stops eating sometimes. This is the third time in 4 months where she has zero interest in food and looks super down (normally she's got quite a happy personality making noise and looking perky)

Has anyone had this? I'm taking her partner to the vet on Monday and will probably take her too for a force feed with a tube because otherwise she doesn't get much down... What could be her issue? They are both very loved, spoilt babies that eat growers mash and floating protein pellets (which she adores) and vitamins and stuff and spirulina now and then ...

She was perfectly fine yesterday...

Oh, poop and water intake is fine, no sign of blockage

Could be something genetic going on with her even something that could have happen during incubation. Seems I read too high or too low temps can cause health issues after hatch. I'll see if @Ravynscroft or @casportpony can weigh in. Maybe they can tell you what to ask the vet to check for.

Talk to the vet about vitamin deficiencies, parasites, bacterial infections, and coccidiosis.

X2

And I would ask him to teach you how to tube feed, if he is willing... if you need to, it's not hard to do, and better to do it yourself than have to take her in each time she doesn't eat properly... casportpony has a thread about tube feeding if he won't teach you...

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for replying. Turns out Pippin (My Pekin) is just super fussy. So i gave her a few crickets and she got eating again. She's a super spoilt baby and freaks her mom out.

My other Pekin Merry cut his leg on something (still trying to figure out what as there is nothing sharp around him) and it got infected inside the joint. He's currently on antibiotics and pain killers.. Vet said it's going to take a while to heal :( But he gobbles the antibiotics straight out of my hand xD

Anyways, Thanks guys!

Drama here....

I heard Pippin going crazy outside, ran out frantically and Pip was outside the house (which is temporarily a box because merry can't get in and out the house) and she was bleeding on her head. Merry had her blood on him... Wtf just happened???? He gets frisky with her in the water and pulls on the feathers on her head... Did he just try get frisky and hurt her? I guess another trip to the vet is in order...

Gosh :( I separated them and put them in a warm room with electrolyte water. I cleaned the blood off of her and put salt water and diluted disinfectant on the wound to make sure it doesn't get infected :(

I feel like every shit thing with ducks is happening to my ducks... :(

Usually mating does not cause wounds... she might not have been in the mood? If it's just a surface wound, flush gently and apply Neosporin... keep separated for a bit to let it heal... but unless it's more serious than skin wound, vet trip shouldn't be necessary...

Goodness me :( my poor girl :( I mean, merry is injured. It's not like he could have gotten ontop anyways so I think he's frustrated.

It seems like a small wound but it bled quite a bit. Clotted aswell. So I don't know. I'll take her anyways because merry needs a check up but gosh...:(

Back
Top Bottom