Pekin--fluid on knee

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by im2clumsy, Feb 6, 2017.

1. im2clumsy

im2clumsy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Hey Everyone!
    I have a Pekin duck--probably about 3-4 years old. I've noticed she isn't walking well--after looking at her, it appears she has a large amount of fluid on her knee (circled in green in picture). We drained some of the fluid & it's yellow liquid. This is the 2nd time this has happened to her. Right now she is on penicillin--anything else we can do besides drain and treat with meds?

Looking at some other info--says that we can give her oregano--anyone know how much?

Thanks in advance for the help!

[​IMG]

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    I guess that its probally pretty painful for her to walk on? I'd confine her to a smaller area inside, where there is less space for her to walk around, which would therefore mean that she's putting less pressure on it.

Good luck with her, and I hope she recovers well :)

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hugs!

Pekins can have trouble with their joints.

In addition to the oral antibiotics, I would give her time floating in lukewarm water whenever possible to take the weight off the leg and improve circulation. And it's pleasant for them.

Oregano is used as a natural antimicrobial - I wish I could find a dosage chart. I would use the herb, not the essential oil, as the e.o. Is so very concentrated. Confession - once I put a tiny tiny drop of oregano oil on my toothbrush. Yowza!!!!! Four-alarm fire!!!!! Well, we learn by doing, don't we? After that, I learned to dilute it with lots of water before trying to ingest it.

If this were my duck, I would look into topical antibiotic as well. You might try an antibiotic ointment, or your might find a formulated antibiotic cream with essential oils in it. Some have used tea tree or yarrow, I believe. But again - straight essential oils are not good to put on anyone's skin! So something made for topical application is what I would look for.

Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, so you might consider adding that to moistened food. It stains, so be careful. It's pretty, but not easy to get off your skin, and I have never been able to remove it from clothing.

4. im2clumsy

Sep 10, 2013
    Central Illinois
    I have her in a smaller dog crate right now so she isn't doing much walking right now! Thank you!!

5. im2clumsy

Sep 10, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Thank you for the suggestions!! I'll try this out!
    I actually was wondering about essential oils---thanks for that tip...I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by