Pekin found dead with little injury

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeniseV, May 7, 2016.

1. DeniseV

DeniseV Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    I said good night to my 2 month old Pekin ducks and everything was fine. My husband went out 2 hours later and found one dead with just a little blood on her wing. I'm devastated and can't figure out what happened. They don't have a roof on their house yet so I wonder if she tried to escape and hit her head but they all seem way to heavy to even get off the ground. Could the other 5 girls have hurt her?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very unli8kely that the others injured/killed her. I would be worried about a predator that may have been scared off by your husband. Make sure the others are securely housed tonight.

3. DeniseV

DeniseV Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    That's what I was worried about but their house is in our garage, since they are still young and he's finishing up building it. The garage door was down and the door to the outside was closed. I can't imagine we have anything living in our garage that wouldn't hurt them the other times it's closed up. This is such a crazy mystery to me :(

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some predators can get through very small gaps. I would consider moving them into a safer temporary shelter till you are sure there are no loose boards or gaps.

A weasel can get through a small opening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by