Pekin hatched Tuedsay with wonky neck...HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsChickenWhisperer, Feb 11, 2016.

1. MrsChickenWhisperer

MrsChickenWhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Nokomis, FL
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This little guy (Pekin duck) pipped Monday and hatched Tuesday. He's pretty active and still in the incubator. What's going on with his neck? Anything I can do to help or should I just cull :(
    He's been the only successful hatch out of 27 eggs. Nine were still active when I candled a few days before hatch date when I removed them from the turner. I din't open the incubator until today to take this video. I've candled all the other eggs just now and don't see any movement :( :( :(

Thanks for any wise words!
    Michelle

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    He may have wry neck is what I think is what's called. It's when they can't or have a difficult time extending their neck. I've seen other people on here suggest that it is caused by deficiency in vitamins and other nutrients. I've seen people fix it by giving them a boost in vitamins and other needed nutrients. Like a complete vitamin or something like that might be able to help. I'm hoping others will be able to agree or correct the info I've given.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

These stories should encourage you and give you some detailed information.

To start with, get some B complex vitamins and use the B3/niacin amount to guide dosage. 150 mg niacin per gallon drinking water.

Or

Brewer's yeast (not baking or winemaking or beer making yeast) 1 tablespoon per cup of food.

You may want to try some other supplements but this can get you started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by