1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin hatching problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sarkchick, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Sarkchick

Sarkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Need some advice. My Pekins are on day 23. 4 hatched with a little assistance on day 21. They had external pips over 24 hours without any attempt of zip before assist. They all had partial shrink wrap. 2 more hatch with a lot of assist on day 22. Also shrink wrap. It's now day 23 and I still have 1 egg with chirping but not even a internal pip. They were all set at same time. Lost power on day 16 for over 8 hours. Have a styro bator. Temp at 99 and humidity at 70. My question is " do I assist at this point?"
    Thanks for any help

2. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Sorry, wrong days. All days are a week off. First pips were day 27 not 21

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Did you calibrate your instruments before you started incubating? I'm wondering if they're giving you inaccurate readings, hence the shrink wrapping.
    At this point, I think you'd be okay to start chipping away at the shells a bit now. Just proceed with caution.

4. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    Hi, i saw your post, I dont have an answer for you on assisting your duckling.
    I am wondering if you have any Fertile Pekin Hatching eggs for sale? Thank you
    I pray your ducklings hatched well w/or without assistance.

5. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Have you candled recently, today? If so tell me what you saw. Where are you at now?

6. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    I would open a very small hole in the air cell, moisten the membrane and look for veins.... After that, decide whether to assist or not.

7. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Hi, i saw your post, I dont have an answer for you on assisting your duckling.
    I am wondering if you have any Fertile Pekin Hatching eggs for sale? Thank you
    I pray your ducklings hatched well w/or without assistance.[/quote

Yes, I do have fertile Pekin eggs. But I live in SE Arkansas and do not ship.
    I got my Pekins as eggs last year from pattygray32@yahoo.com and at that time
    She did ship
    Thank you for prayers

8. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas

Not sure if you were talking to me, but I did open air cell area. Still veins so put back in bator. And yes I have 2 other temp/humidity sensors. I had just finished a chick hatch 14 out of 16 (2 clears) . Thanks for responding

9. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    My fingers are crossed for you!! If you need anything, just post. I'm staying subscribed to this thread. Good luck!!!
    And with positive forward thinking, love to see pics of lings!!!

10. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas

Thank you for responding. Yes I just hatched chicks 14 out of 16 (2 clears) and have 2 temp/humidity in. I did loose power for over 8 hours a couple days before lockdown. I did remove shell and outer membrane in air cell only. Still large veins so put back in bator. Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by