Pekin having seizures

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by autumnn, Jun 25, 2016.

1. autumnn

autumnn New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    Last night my one Pekin had a pretty bad seizure and I thought she was dead... She ended up being okay. This morning before I opened the coop door I heard flopping so I went out and she was having another one. I also noticed her eyes were goopy. Last week her one eye was squinty but it went away. Does anyone know what this could be from?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @autumnn please give us more info, how old is your Pekin, what do you feed her and what is their house like? any mold ? Has she been on any Brewers yeast or niacin ? For goopy eyes you can use a mild saline wash by using warm water [1 cup] to 1/8th teaspoon salt] or go to the feed store or TSC and get Terramycin eye ointment or Veterycin spray, can you see any other discharge coming from nares or mouth? listen yo her breathe also.

3. autumnn

autumnn New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    She is 12 weeks old and mostly free ranges during the day with the other duck and chickens. They all go into the same coop at night and eat the same feed... Purina start and grow non medicated. I haven't given her anything extra. I will do a saline rinse and I believe I have some of that ointment. She actually had another seizure since be time I posted this and now her one eye is closed. I did read about mold and looked in their coop and didn't see any?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Check the food too but seems others would be sick if it was mold. It could be a niaicn deficiency it's a little late but if she was never on any it could be, The best thing would be a vets diagnoses but not all of us afford them. So we do the best we can, I'd start her on some B complex vitamins Human you can crush it up and put into a gal of water I think the dose is 250 megs but not sure so I'll see if I can find out. But if we feed chicken food ducklings don't get the amount of niacin they need for strong legs and healthy brains. usually once put on this vit they begin to come around pretty quick. B complex will cover all the B's make sure what you get has at least 125-150 megs of niacin. Some ducklings will show signs of the def with leg lameness and neurological issues. and sometimes we can over look them too they hide things so well. Also make sure she hasn't eaten something that could be causing it. Since you say she free ranges mostly. I'd keep her confined with a buddy till you have treated her so she doesn't end up somewhere having a seizure and no one to help her.

So far found this about the B complex
    Are you having issues or giving it as a supplement? What is the dose listed for an adult?

I am not a vet and don't have a lot of duckling experience, but I am treating a duckling with wry neck from what I suspect is a vitamin deficiency. I would say if you are giving it as a supplement to prevent a vitamin deficiency then add one adult dose to 1 gallon of water and allow them constant access. If you are treating wry neck let me know and I will share what I have been doing so far, which seems to be working.

Another bit of info..https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...amins-for-duckling-with-leg-issue-please-help

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. BarrerasDucks

BarrerasDucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    There could be a hundred reasons to be honest. From a head injury, something she ate, a parasite from dirty swimming water to vitamin deficiency.

Could even be botulism. Keep her separate from the flock. Put her in a calm quiet environment with a little heat (60 watt bulb 18" from her) then take her to an Avian Vet. I'm in Oregion and my Avian Vet is $80 a visit. This is the unfortunate thing about livestock. When you get them you have to commit....best of luck and keep us posted

6. autumnn

autumnn New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    My husband ended up having to shoot her last night :( no vets around here were open sat and sun and she was seizuring so much yesterday and was so weak seeming. I feel bad for my Drake. He lives with my flock of leghorns but idk if he needs another duck or what he would do if introduced another. I'm going to wait a bit if I do that to make sure the other duck doesn't start it too.

7. BarrerasDucks

BarrerasDucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon

Make sure you separate him asap!

He will need another duck. Just one will be fine. He'll get along with chickens but they are an inferior bird! I hope he pulls through. Putting them down is always not fun.

Keep us posted with him

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @autumnn I am so sorry.

But I have to tell you if you are not careful your drake may end up trying to mate with your hens, Drakes have been known to do this and can cause serious injury and even death, chickens and ducks are not made to mate. I'd put him in separate living quarters. and get another duck.

Did you look around to see if she may have eaten something toxic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by