Pekin Injured? Sick? Please help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pendergast, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Pendergast

Pendergast Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    A few months ago I lost my Cayuga drake, and now I have a female Pekin showing the same symptoms he did. You can see my original post here.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1140382/cayuga-drake-died-in-less-than-two-days-worried-about-the-rest-of-the-flock layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED]

This morning when I let everyone out--they free range on about 1/4 acre during the day--she was fine. I noticed within the past hour that she was resting with her legs pointed back then she began extending her neck forward. When she walks it's strained, almost like her legs are asleep, and her right leg is stiff.

[​IMG]

She's still in good spirits, but I'm worried. No blood, no noticeable cuts. Any advice on what to look for? What to do?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear about the loss of your drake. From the symptoms you describe and the photo of your duck, it sounds/looks like possible symptoms of botulism (also called "limberneck"). See info in Merck Veterinary Manual here: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/botulism/overview-of-botulism-in-poultry and Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine article here: http://www.duckhealth.com/duckhlth.html.

My suggestion would be to try to get her to an avian vet, if at all possible. Per the Cornell article, "...botulism causes a progressive flaccid (limp) paralysis of the neck (limberneck), legs and wings. Affected ducks usually die in a coma within 24-48 hours."

Best wishes for your duck's recovery.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. Pendergast

Pendergast Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    @[email protected] Lydia thank you both. A vet wouldn't be an option until Tuesday so I need to be proactive. I'll be trying a flush and letting you know how it goes. Should I isolate her, or would the stress make things worse?

5. FoodFreedomNow

Right - I forgot about the holiday weekend. I think isolation would be the best approach until she has recovered.
    Will be hoping for a good response to the flush...and thanks for the treatment info, @Miss Lydia ! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you have a very mild mannered female that could keep her company if she acts too stressed being isolated. I sure hope one of the flush works.

Thanks for keeping us updated and also you need to walk where your ducks are kept looking for what ever they maybe getting into.

7. Pendergast

Pendergast Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    The problem is the bacteria that causes botulism is widespread in soil, no? Otherwise my best guess is they're getting infected maggots that stray from the compost heap. The compost is "sealed" in pallets, and I've never caught a duck or chicken inside the area, but the chickens do investigate the perimeter regularly.

I'm not sure there's a fix if they're getting infected maggots from the soil :/ :he

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well if that is the case all of mine would be long gone because they all probably eat more dirt and mud than feed. I am not sure about the maggots though. I was thinking maybe stagnant water some kind of plant. Our ducks use to get into our compost pile all the time and never suffered for it.

9. FoodFreedomNow

That's the conundrum...it could be in the soil, or it could be from other sources like stagnant water or the maggots you mentioned. Personally, I'd try to rule out stagnant water and carcasses first because those would be simpler to address.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pendergast

Pendergast Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    The kiddie pools are changed every other day and the waterer is filled twice, cleaned once. We do have 10 ducks so I guess it could still be the water. The only reason we haven't built out a pond with a circulator is because we plan on moving in May.

They're in the habit of nosing through the dirty water when I dump the ponds and that was yesterday...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by