Pekin laying at 14 weeks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K813ZRA, Jul 5, 2016.

1. K813ZRA

K813ZRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I am new to ducks but have had chickens for awhile now. I think that laying at 14 weeks is a bit early but that is not what I was wondering. Egg number 1 was without a shell (I'm thinking they need calcium) but egg number two was half the size of egg number 1 and broken (I don't know if it was broken or it came out that way?) and this morning egg number three was huge and normal, just a little dirty.

My question is, can I give ducks free choice oyster shell just like chickens?

Second question, since there was something wrong with the first two eggs should this third one which appears to be normal be good to eat? I kept the soft shell one, what about that one?

Thank you.

2. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    It’s perfectly normal for young ducks to lay “weird” eggs when they’re just starting. Many of my ducks lay weird eggs the first time or two, and occasionally undersized eggs pop up at other times. It’s just a little glitch in the egg-making process, and it often happens when they’re just getting the egg-laying gears going.

Your third egg is probably just fine and perfectly edible. I don’t know about the soft-shell one, but when we get weird eggs, we just give them to our dog. She also gets to eat any old eggs or ones with large cracks. She loves them.

As to the oyster shell, I believe it’s alright to let the ducks have it at their free will, but you might want to wait for confirmation from others here. Personally, I don’t feed my ducks oyster shell at all for calcium, and they do just fine. I do occasionally give them crushed eggshells.

3. K813ZRA

K813ZRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you, I got another egg and it is just fine too. I guess she was just adjusting to laying eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by