Pekin laying odd eggs

10PekinDucks

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
My many Pekin duck has started laying these odd eggs. This has only been happening for 2 days now. The egg is misshapen and has what appears to be calcium covering the small end. When I tap on it, it sounds more solid or thick on that end. Any ideas or suggestions? We’re about to have freezing temps for a few days to a week then we’ll start collecting eggs for our next hatch. I do t want to be collecting unviable eggs and waste a cycle. Thanks! Sheila

193114B0-95D5-42F5-AAAD-A041CE6A5E02.jpeg

Attachments

• 298DD8EF-3DB1-4150-A8E3-E363A052AA5A.jpeg
    298DD8EF-3DB1-4150-A8E3-E363A052AA5A.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 3
How old is she? What are you feeding them? Are you supplementing with oyster shells?
They’re eating All Flock pellets and I supplement with oyster shell. It’s possible they may not have had enough oyster shell when the temps dropped last week. They also have access to sand.

Have you seen her eat the oyster shell?
If it's only happened for the last 2 days, I wouldn't be worrying just yet. Sometimes things get wonky and eggs come out funny.

Have you seen her eat the oyster shell?
If it's only happened for the last 2 days, I wouldn't be worrying just yet. Sometimes things get wonky and eggs come out funny.
I really haven’t spent enough time watching them like I used to. I’m going to add some oyster shell in the area the sand is to see if she picks any up today. I have a chicken that’s going through molt in with them so the others don’t pick on her so it’s possible she’s avoided the OS because of her.

I really haven’t spent enough time watching them like I used to. I’m going to add some oyster shell in the area the sand is to see if she picks any up today. I have a chicken that’s going through molt in with them so the others don’t pick on her so it’s possible she’s avoided the OS because of her.
I don’t know too much about eggs, but if I had to guess more calcium could help.

Since it’s only been happening for two days, it might just be a weird little thing that will fix itself in a few days.

One of my ducks, when she first started laying, produced these kind of weird looking eggs (similar to yours).

Our vet suggested it might be an infection of the egg shell gland and put her on antibiotics and anti inflammatories, which corrected the issue in about 10 days. Her eggs are now looking normal.

Back
Top Bottom