pekin laying on back - couldn't get up!!!!

montcapu

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
laingsburg, MI
I wient out just a few minutes ago to check on my flock and I noticed one of my 2 1/2 month old pekins on its back and the first thing I thought was she was dead (maybe picked on by some others - never had that kind of issue but it ran thru my mind) so I went right over to her and she couldn;t turn herself back around so I picked her up and put her on her feet and she just ran off like she normally would but it concerns me... does anyone have an answer to why she would have been on her back and unable to get back up... any suggestions would be appreciated
angela

I have seen a couple of my baby geese do the same thing. They were a bit younger, I think, but it seemed they just couldn't get themselves flipped over. Now that they are bigger, this seems to have resolved itself.

I am just worried... I had to go back out and check on her again just a little bit ago and she seems to be fine.... I will keep an eye on her though

Funny you should post this.
I was outside yesterday and one of my Pekins was on her back too. I had never seen a duck do that. She was probably stuck, because she made no effort to get up when I walked up to her. I was worried she was sick or something, but once I turned her over, she fluffed her feathers out, quacked at me, and walked off. Weirdo ducks.

A lot of times they tubby little bellies make it so they can't get back up. If they are otherwise normal, no worries!
If there are other symptoms, then it may be a cause for concern.

well that is all good to know... she was walking and quacking this morning so I am guessing she just got stuck on her back
thanks

Back
Top Bottom