Pekin legs injured

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tatswell, Nov 30, 2016.

1. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    My 2.5 MO old female Pekin (peaches) slightly injured her leg a week ago running away from my mallard drake. She is 1 of 4 coming into a new flock and is easily targeted by him because she is slowest.
    They are separated of course, except when I let them out to start adjusting to each other. Everyone else doing well with the new ducks except for those two.
    I figured I'd just stay with peaches until I can trust my drake and her to at least get along or until her leg recovered- only today I had to abruptly leave for two minutes to catch the mailman and in those two min my drake went after her again. Now she is dragging herself. She will stand but has a hard time keeping balance and hobbles until her feet cannot hold her weight.
    No obvious wounds, no obvious breaks.
    My vet will not do much but pain meds.
    Wondering if there is anything other than swims and separation until she is healed that I can do to help.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He will continue targeting her as long as she is injured, and will continue to aggravate her injuries. It will probably be necessary to separate either the drake or the injured hen fro the flock until she is recovered. Drakes are sex driven, and once they identify an 'easy' target they take advantage of that.

3. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    Right. I am wondering if there is anything other than separation, rest, and swims that I can do to help her heal.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have had some success using comfrey salve, or T-Relief topically, and adding a little turmeric (be careful - it stains) to the food. I checked with the vet and turmeric is safe for them to eat. Seems to really help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by