Pekin limping with swollen LEG

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laureny8man, Mar 23, 2017.

1. laureny8man

laureny8man New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    Hi all,
    I have a pekin duck currently under my wing (haha) as of about 3 weeks now. We took him off the pond when we noticed him limping when he would attempt walking at all, wet, and skinny. At first the only definite conclusion I came to was he had wet feather, though his left leg joint was hot and puffy for no immediate reason. Aside from this, he was eating and drinking enthusiastically and alert. It took us a few days to decide to take him to the vet - who deemed his leg stable and in good shape, and gave us a course of antibioics for the swelling, and said he was a fair bit underweight. Since then he's been a bit through the wars - after taking him home from the vets, we found worms in his droppings, got that treated, found him over-run with avian mites, last week it was fly-strike, and we're having to pull bits of hay and feed from his nostrils every few days when he can't sneeze them out himself.
    This week has seen an improvement. He is much more aggressive (nipping at hands delivering feed, scragging towels when being dried), we've bought him a paddling pool (qutie the site) for therapy swims, and is using his wings less and less to get about. He's molting, which is good news for the wet feather I guess.
    My only concern is that his leg is still swollen and hot. If anything, the puffyness has spread up and down his leg from the "elbow" joint. I've just come inside from giving him a swim and I noticed a wart-like lump (fleshy and pale pink in colour, with a small scab at the crest) on the outside of his elbow, where the swelling started. We have considered bumblefoot, but the bottom of his favoured foot looks much like the other normal foot. Something I have also noticed is his beak looks almost "sunburnt" - peeling and darker in small patches. Otherwise he is still eating heartily, has put on a healthy weight, and very alert and talkative.
    Has anyone seen or heard of this before?
    Thank you,
    Lauren
    (New Zealand - it's the beginning of autum here)

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Wowee thats alot already for such a young duckling!
    What are you feeding him?
    Ducklings need niacin . Usually added in the form of brewers yeast or nutritional yeast to their feed .
    Lots of ducks have troubles with their legs especially during thay age when they are growing so fast.
    Im suprised to see he was "on the pond" at 3 weeks old...
    Was he raised by a mother duck?

3. laureny8man

laureny8man New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    We've had him off the pond for three weeks, he's about 3-4 years old :)
    He's currently eating mostly poultry pallets with mashed corn and wheat - just what we feed the chooks. We'll give him cooked long grain rice when we have it as well, he loves that. Anything else is tid bits from the vege garden, tomatoes and strawberries etc.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Oh okay!! Makes way more sense now lol!!
    i dont have any experience with any adult leg issues. Hopefully someone will come along with good advice:)

5. EmilyP

EmilyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    A swollen leg is likely an infection. Antibiotics should be helping (is it liquid or solid). If you don't see any change in the joint in two weeks call your vet and you may need a culture to get the right antibiotic for the infection. Did they give a anti-inflammatory/pain med as well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by