1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin/Mallard ducks or a bit of both?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DaffyDuck100, Jan 23, 2014.

1. DaffyDuck100

DaffyDuck100 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    Hello,
    Can someone please help me decide wether to get 2 pekin ducks and 2 Mallard ducks or just get 4 pekin ducks and not worry about the mallards?!
    I've been talking to a few people and they have been saying that because the mallards are so small they may be hurt by the Pekins.
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. mfaith694

mfaith694 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    I used to raise pekins and we had a mallard. They never seemed to bother her. It depends what you are going to do with them. Personally I like pekins because I have already raised them and their eggs are easy to hatch. I do not know much about the mallards because I only had one. It depends on the person. What color what size. Mallards are much quieter, they can also fly but you can clip their primary feathers on one wing so they can't. [​IMG]good luck

3. DaffyDuck100

Jan 22, 2014
    Ok,
    Thanks so much for all that info!!! It was so helpful. I didnt know any of that stuff!!! I've decided to get 4 female pekins and maybe when I'm more "experienced" I'll expand and get some more ducks (including drakes)
    Do you mind telling me about hatching pekin eggs and some of the equipment you need? I've been thinking about hatching the ducks rather than buying them as ducklings.
    I'm not sure where to get the eggs from!! :)

4. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i have mallard and muscovy and have white crested eggs in the bator and i will be geting pekin duckling this year and my mallards almost never fly at all where you raise them and if you lock them up at night they will stay and the pekin wont bother the mallard well from what all i have raised they mostly stick to there own breeds and almost never come near each other unless i call for feeding time and when they go in there coop at night and even then they sleep away from each other at night they will be fine together need any thing else just pm me

5. DaffyDuck100

Jan 22, 2014
    Ok that's good to know!
    Thanks! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by