Pekin nerve damage

Kylesandi338

Hatching
Jul 10, 2020
I have a Pekin that fell off A board and hurt herself. This has been about 6 weeks ago. I took her to the vet when this happened and she had a fracture in her lower back. I kept her isolated from the other ducks. She has gotten better and doesn’t seem to have any pain. She can stand up and support herself but one of her legs she keeps to the side and uses her wings to balance. She can’t walk much but has to use her wings when she does. I put her in water to except use and she will use it to swim fine. I asked the vet and she said she probably has nerve damage but said give it time. I am wondering how much time and what else can I do to help her. She is my baby and I don’t want to have to put her down but I don’t want her to go her entire life like this. She is isolated because my other ducks try to pick on her because she is injured. I will give it as much time as I need to. But any help will be appreciated. I just want to do what is best for my duck. Whatever that might be. Thanks

Sorry to hear about your duck.

Some more information would be quite helpful.

What is she being fed, what kind of material is she being housed on, how old is she, could you post a video of her walking around?

My daughter got these ducks as chicks on Easter weekend. I am keeping her in a dog crate and she has pine shavings for her bedding and to walk on. I am feeding her Putin’s grower crumbles with pellet booster added in. She gets her vitamins in her water. And some peas for treats. I will take some pictures of her attempting to walk in just a bit. One of her legs she holds her weight on and the other sticks out to the side like she can’t control her muscles in it. She has full range of motion in it but she can’t control it so she has to use her wings to help her walk.

Attachments

• E3665E77-FF5A-439E-A9F0-09FE7968549D.jpeg
    E3665E77-FF5A-439E-A9F0-09FE7968549D.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 93409B43-64A3-4456-A295-A81FD1741A3C.jpeg
    93409B43-64A3-4456-A295-A81FD1741A3C.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 3
Something like this can probably take months to heal. What your doing giving her pool time is great. It can help strengthen her leg muscles. I’d keep up with all your doing and let her swim as often as you can. As for walking if she wants to use her leg for walking that’s fine but I’d keep it to minimum to give her time to heal. If she’s easily handled maybe try a sling to help her walk like they do for dogs recovering from back injuries an surgery.

Back
Top Bottom