Pekin not herself... help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amarna23, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Amarna23

Amarna23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    South Australia
    [​IMG]My 1.5yr old Pekin bantam girl is out of sorts... she's quiet, not as active, loosing feathers (moulting ?) she's been broody for a few months, spending a lot of her time sitting on my other girls egg (she lays most days) Im really worried about her, mainly today seeing her eyes tired & with no energy. Any advice please?!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She doesn't look well. If you can find a vet to take her to I would. That's about all you can do.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's fall there so maybe molting...but molting and/or broody birds don't usually lay.
    Spending a lot of time sitting in nest could be illness manifesting, is she roosting with other birds at night?
    Have you tried chasing her out of the nest, tossing treats to get her moving?
    Is her abdomen swollen?
    Breathing OK?
    Have you checked her over real well for mites and/or lice?
    Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
    Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
    Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
    Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

4. Amarna23

Mar 3, 2017
    South Australia
    She's booked in today, fingers crossed

5. Amarna23

Mar 3, 2017
    South Australia
    It's my other girl who's laying, Lotta hasn't layed since she's been broody, but she comes off nest regularly through out the day & free ranges but not for as long as my other girl as she heads back to her box. Hopefully the vet can give me some insight & we can make her back to her beautiful self!

6. Amarna23

Mar 3, 2017
    South Australia
    Update: Lotta has a very bad unknown infection, possibly in her bones, or cancer, outlook not great but we're keeping our fingers crossed x

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you go to a vet?
    Any treatments?
    Best of cLuck!

8. Amarna23

Mar 3, 2017
    South Australia
    Yes went to vet yesterday, she stayed over night but as they don't know what's causing her infection it's harder to treat, more tests etc still needed to try pin point cause.. her blood count should be 12,000... hers is 400,000 so it's an extreme infection... I'm watching the clock till the vet opens to check on her!! I gave her a few pep talks to keep fighting so fingers crossed x Good news is could rule out anything that my other girl may catch, she presented as super healthy. Thanks for the cLuck!

9. Amarna23

Mar 3, 2017
    South Australia
    She has Heavy metal poisoning... it seems at some stage she's swallowed some metal that's been slowly poisoning her, outlook is still grim but fingers crossed, she's a fighter so fingers crossed she can build up some strength the next week or so for surgery

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Blood tests showed heavy metals?
    Did they do rays too?
    What surgery will they perform?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by