pekin not laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petertmlnsn, Feb 19, 2014.

1. petertmlnsn

petertmlnsn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Hello all, I have 2 Pekin ducks, they are a little over a year old. I have not recieved any eggs off either duck for nearly 3 months. I am in Australia here and we have nearly finished summer here. they molted ages ago. can anybody help or shed light on the issue?

plenty water, food, they are happy, free range ( they are not laying, no secret spot i have looked everywhere. ), share pen with a muscouvy drake and 5 hens. have already molted, no rats/birds.
    When I fist got they I got a egg each a day for about a week, then nothing for 3 months.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmmmm. Another puzzler.

Could you give more details on their food, the temperatures, their shelter, their relationships with the other ducks (I kid you not), any changes in their environment?

3. petertmlnsn

petertmlnsn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013

'Hmmmmm. Another puzzler.
    Could you give more details on their food, the temperatures, their shelter, their relationships with the other ducks (I kid you not), any changes in their environment?'

Hi Amiga, well..
    they are free ranging so food would be bugs,crickets,grasshoppers,snail etc. also they eat the layer pellets with the chickens when I feed they ( not a lot ) also food scraps from the kitchen.

it's summer here although almost over, temps of around 25 - 40 c.

shelters good, well ventilated, floors kept clean and chickens roost so they don't bother the 2 ducks ( I only have 2 ducks ). the ducks don't have anything to sleep in just sleep on the floor, on some straw.

I have a Muscovy drake, his harmless and follows the 2 Peking ducks around however they all seem to get along fine.

They have plenty of clean water to drink/swim.

and still no eggs for 3 months! got me baffled, any explanation/help greatly appreciated.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give the ducks more layer feed. We cannot know how much they are eating if they are free ranging, and they may not be the best foragers.

Those temperatures are a bit on the warm side, and sometimes there is an increased need for feed in the warmth (yes, it's not just cold that requires more feed sometimes, according to what I have read in Storey's Guide).

How is their body condition? Have you weighed them, checked to make sure they are a good weight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by