Pekin or Cayuga?

Horsebackrules

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
I'm thinking about getting some ducklings, but I'm not sure what type. I had been wanting Cayuga but I heard that they could be skittish. Is this true? I really want a friendly duck that I can cuddle with. Right now I'm planning on just getting 2 males because I don't want any eggs. I've heard Pekins can be loud but since I'm getting a male would this still be a problem? Also I've heard Cayugas don't like water too much. I'd love to watch them play around in water because we have a small pond in our backyard. I would like to take the to a lake every now and then too. All I really want is a good companion. Which breed is more like a dog? I might get one of each if they are both good.

I have two Pekin ducks, a male and a female. My sister has three Pekins, one male and two females. The Pekins are very friendly. I can hold and cuddle my female but not my male. He is very sociable but doesn't want to be cuddled. The females are louder and seems to be like a watch dog. If someone enters the yard or the dog gets out they are both very vocal. I would recommend getting two females as to keep each other company. The males as I have recently discovered can get aggressive toward the females and other males. My sisters ducks will waddle out of the pond and follow her all over for a treat, but when she's not home they swim together. I don't know anything about the Cayuga ducks,sorry. But my Pekins are the best. So funny. I just laugh and laugh. Good luck.

I have both and honestly, I do not see a difference in their "friendliness" I think it depends on how well it imprints and the personality of the duck. Both breeds love the water. Why not get one of both? But I would get the same sex. Be careful taking them to the lake, you could find that they like the lake better than your pond.

Thanks for the fast responses! Will they fight even if there is no female to fight over and they've been raised together? The main reasons I want males is because I wouldn't know what to do with the eggs and they also are much quieter than females. Also don't worry, I'm planning on buying a duck harness for them
wink.png
Also, should I get three males instead of two? I'd rather have two but I've been told to get one more in case one dies.

Ive had my pekin drake forever and he used to give me hugs. He comes right to me when I open the cage and he is very very quite. I got him a girl, but he doesnt seem to be interested in her. I love pekins and ive even read on wiki and other places that they prefer people over other ducks. My pekin is my best friend, and even though we just got the female, I can reach right over and pet her.

the only problem with pekins is that you should get them young and make sure they only have like a half cup of food a day so that they live longer and dont get overweight.

I have Pekin, they are definitely personable, mine love to be sprayed with the hose and massively enjoy their pools and toddling about. I have a flock of 6.. 1 drake, 5 ducks. The males make little noise so if you dont' want eggs nor the quacking(which is definitely LOUD) then a pair of males would be fine.

Ive had my pekin drake forever and he used to give me hugs. He comes right to me when I open the cage and he is very very quite. I got him a girl, but he doesnt seem to be interested in her. I love pekins and ive even read on wiki and other places that they prefer people over other ducks. My pekin is my best friend, and even though we just got the female, I can reach right over and pet her.

the only problem with pekins is that you should get them young and make sure they only have like a half cup of food a day so that they live longer and dont get overweight.
If given adequate ability to roam i see no reason to do this, mine have never been feed restricted, and free range daily... none are overweight nor have any issues. I maintain the flock on a 16% grower and whole grains and of coarse all the stuff they find out on the farm.
smile.png

After hearing such great things about the Pekins I think I'll get one of each. First gotta see if this law is removed. I sent in an email that I wrote with my friend but they didn't bring it up at their meeting so it was pretty much dead. But about a week ago I got an email that city hall is having a meeting about it tomorrow. Let's see what happens! I'll be able to speak at the meeting too so I prepared a very long thing
big_smile.png
Does anyone else have Cayugas? I'd like to hear more about them. I've heard a lot of people say that they're skittish but I only trust this website. On most others it said geese were vicious and I know most people that actually own them as a companion say they're just like dogs. Seems like the only poultry lovers are on here!

After hearing such great things about the Pekins I think I'll get one of each. First gotta see if this law is removed. I sent in an email that I wrote with my friend but they didn't bring it up at their meeting so it was pretty much dead. But about a week ago I got an email that city hall is having a meeting about it tomorrow. Let's see what happens! I'll be able to speak at the meeting too so I prepared a very long thing
big_smile.png
Does anyone else have Cayugas? I'd like to hear more about them. I've heard a lot of people say that they're skittish but I only trust this website. On most others it said geese were vicious and I know most people that actually own them as a companion say they're just like dogs. Seems like the only poultry lovers are on here!

Good luck with your zonings! um, i think overall all breeds have bad seeds now & then. Unfortunately, most people who have bad experiences are the ones who speak the loudest lol I have Muscovy, Pekin, Buff and calls.. all have their good points, just depends on what your purposes are for your ducks.

welcome-byc.gif

Our Pekin drake is very sweet. We got him at three weeks old. He runs when you try to catch him however once he is caught he just relaxes in your arms.

My 9 year old daughter is always carrying him around, showing him things, taking selfies with him, etc.. he puts up with it all. Lately she is trying to teach him to shake his tail on command. She is giving him meal worms for training treats. He is quite happy to try to figure out what the heck she wants as long as he gets his mealworms. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom