Pekin or french white Muscovy. Help!!

AnRamire

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2015
Pocono PA
So I recently went to TSC and purchased 3 ducklings from a bin labeled assorted ducklings. Stor manager told me they were pekin. However upon further research i was told they are possibility french white muscovies. So i thought i would ask the experienced, helpful folks here. What do you think?

Last edited:
My kids will be delighted. I on the other hand had my heart set on FWM. Just out of curiosity how does one tell the difference. I was told these guys have pink bills that's why they are FWM. Thank you for your response

Last edited:
So I recently went to TSC and purchased 3 ducklings from a bin labeled assorted ducklings. Stor manager told me they were pekin. However upon further research i was told they are possibility french white muscovies. So i thought i would ask the experienced, helpful folks here. What do you think?
Don't FWM have blk on their heads? Those duckling are sure adorable

My kids will be delighted. I on the other hand had my heart set on FWM. Just out of curiosity how does one tell the difference. I was told these gus have pink bills thays why they are FWM. Thank you for your response

Yeah i think muscovy look shaped different to me. Their faces/ bills/ and bodies.
Some pekins have really pink bills. The first pekins i got one had a very pink bill.
And i think yes you would be starting to see some black on the face by the eyes .
I have never had one but in the pictures i have see is all i am going by:)

Judging by the pictures, I'd say they were Pekins. I've never had any Pekins, but it seems more likely that TSC would stock Pekins than FWM. Pekins are what most people think of when they think Duck, or Easter Duck. Get where I'm going?
They could be FWM, though. I'm not 100 percent sure either way. Whatever they are, they sure are cute! Hope you'll have lotsa fun with your ducky friends!

Those are pekins.
You can tell because
1) TSC orders from large hatcheries, and there are only a tiny fraction of hatcheries out there that carry muscovies of any variation.
2) Muscovies have large claws and feet that behave more like chicken feet as far as grasping and climbing. Those are just "normal" duck feet.
3) Muscovies have smaller bills as babies, considerably more narrow than pekin ducklings.
4) Muscovy ducklings are compact, small, and rounded at that age, whereas pekin ducklings are elongated and gangly such as the ducklings you have there.

Thank you everyone for your reply so. I guess time will tell. I will keep anyone who is interested updated. They are cute little buggers

Back
Top Bottom