Pekin or french white Muscovy. Help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnRamire, Mar 19, 2017.

1. AnRamire

AnRamire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    Pocono PA
    So I recently went to TSC and purchased 3 ducklings from a bin labeled assorted ducklings. Stor manager told me they were pekin. However upon further research i was told they are possibility french white muscovies. So i thought i would ask the experienced, helpful folks here. What do you think?[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. AnRamire

Apr 14, 2015
    Pocono PA
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]some more pics hoping some one can help

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    They look like pekins to me... :)

4. AnRamire

Apr 14, 2015
    Pocono PA
    My kids will be delighted. I on the other hand had my heart set on FWM. Just out of curiosity how does one tell the difference. I was told these guys have pink bills that's why they are FWM. Thank you for your response

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Don't FWM have blk on their heads? Those duckling are sure adorable

6. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Yeah i think muscovy look shaped different to me. Their faces/ bills/ and bodies.
    Some pekins have really pink bills. The first pekins i got one had a very pink bill.
    And i think yes you would be starting to see some black on the face by the eyes .
    I have never had one but in the pictures i have see is all i am going by:)

7. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Judging by the pictures, I'd say they were Pekins. I've never had any Pekins, but it seems more likely that TSC would stock Pekins than FWM. Pekins are what most people think of when they think Duck, or Easter Duck. Get where I'm going?
    They could be FWM, though. I'm not 100 percent sure either way. Whatever they are, they sure are cute! Hope you'll have lotsa fun with your ducky friends!

8. Dogue

Dogue Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    Those are pekins.
    You can tell because
    1) TSC orders from large hatcheries, and there are only a tiny fraction of hatcheries out there that carry muscovies of any variation.
    2) Muscovies have large claws and feet that behave more like chicken feet as far as grasping and climbing. Those are just "normal" duck feet.
    3) Muscovies have smaller bills as babies, considerably more narrow than pekin ducklings.
    4) Muscovy ducklings are compact, small, and rounded at that age, whereas pekin ducklings are elongated and gangly such as the ducklings you have there.

3 people like this.
  9. AnRamire

Apr 14, 2015
    Pocono PA
    Thank you everyone for your reply so. I guess time will tell. I will keep anyone who is interested updated. They are cute little buggers

10. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    yep im curious. they look pekin now. but some have ended up with muscovy from tractor supply so its not impossible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by