Pekin Owners little help please!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmAbTo48, Jul 9, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am new to this forum, but have raised Pekin’s, Mallards, Muscovy’s and different chickens since I was a little girl!

I just recently (been about 3 days) bought 3 new pekins from a craigslist add they are all adults one Drake two hens. They were raised by the lady that owned them, but were totally free range, never came into a shed or housing for night, had a large trout stream and a lot of land to roam. We live on 40 acres we have 2 smaller ponds, they free range throughout the day and actually come to their shed at night (which I thought for sure was going to take me at least a week to teach them! Guess I got lucky!! ).

Now however I have never had a Broody Pekin: All mine are terrible brooders, leave eggs all over the yard. The one female I got actually disappears into our tall grass all day and will just randomly show up once in a while. I know she’s not sick, I have spent hours trying to find her in the tall grass, but have NO luck! I just get worried since she is not coming in at night and I would like to keep her and not lose her to coyotes.

I called the lady I got them from and she said all her pekins brood!!!! And they are great mothers! This is very new to me.

Any advice? Any other Pekins out there doing this? I am guessing I will just have to leave her alone and see what comes of it. I just don't want her to keep getting farther and farther away every time she broods and just getting lost.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Try setting up a nice nest in the coop and don't let them out until later in the morning, until after she's laid her eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by