Pekin pen size?

Cloverleaf Farm

Bearded Birds are Best
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Levan, UT
A friend of mine just rescued a pekin drake, and needs to know how large of a pen he needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

hay bro if it is 1 just put it in a hutch or a size clost to that
thumbsup.gif

A pen can be relatively small - say the size of a medium dog kennel - if the duck is only locked in at night for safety. But if they are not going to be let out to freerange - then a permanent pen needs to be bigger. Something for your friend to consider before making a pen for one duck- is that they are social animals- and like company. Is there any chance your friend may get the pekin a friend at some stage. If not, a pen 8 foot by 4 foot would be enough - that way they can build a shelter at one end for bad weather and also room for a small pool for swimming. That would be big enough for an extra duck or two as well- but much smaller and the poor fellow would be very cramped up and the pen would become very messy quicker.

Ok, that's pretty much what I thought. The drake's name is "Arnold" he is VERY imprinted on people, which makes the fact that he got dumped even more sad. I think the person was "trying" to do the right thing, by dumping him in a pond where there were other ducks, but he just gets picked on by the wild ducks and the geese, and he's constantly wandering into the parking lot/under cars trying to be near people.

I'll either convince her to get him a friend, or to let me rehome him where he can be with other ducks eventually.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom