Pekin pen size?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cloverleaf Farm, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    A friend of mine just rescued a pekin drake, and needs to know how large of a pen he needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

2. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    hay bro if it is 1 just put it in a hutch or a size clost to that [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A pen can be relatively small - say the size of a medium dog kennel - if the duck is only locked in at night for safety. But if they are not going to be let out to freerange - then a permanent pen needs to be bigger. Something for your friend to consider before making a pen for one duck- is that they are social animals- and like company. Is there any chance your friend may get the pekin a friend at some stage. If not, a pen 8 foot by 4 foot would be enough - that way they can build a shelter at one end for bad weather and also room for a small pool for swimming. That would be big enough for an extra duck or two as well- but much smaller and the poor fellow would be very cramped up and the pen would become very messy quicker.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Ok, that's pretty much what I thought. The drake's name is "Arnold" he is VERY imprinted on people, which makes the fact that he got dumped even more sad. I think the person was "trying" to do the right thing, by dumping him in a pond where there were other ducks, but he just gets picked on by the wild ducks and the geese, and he's constantly wandering into the parking lot/under cars trying to be near people.

I'll either convince her to get him a friend, or to let me rehome him where he can be with other ducks eventually.

Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by