pekin rooster behaviour

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by belgianlover101, Nov 5, 2014.

1. belgianlover101

belgianlover101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    australia
    hi guys i have gotten a new rooster he is a pekin and i was wondering what there behaviour was like because i am new pekins roosters[​IMG][​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Every chicken is individual. No matter what the breed reviews say, you just have to take it as you find it.

Best wishes.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Typically, Pekins (or Cochins, whatever you'd like to call them) are docile and friendly. That's has been my experience with them, mostly. I did have a bantam Cochin last year who was just a nasty little guy. When I brought him home, he started attacking my boots after being here a few days. I gave him a couple of weeks to adjust, and when he just got worse, I put him in the stew pot. But, I've had quite a few roosters of this breed, and all the rest have been wonderful guys. Especially my big standard sized roosters.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. belgianlover101

Jun 26, 2014
    australia
    [​IMG]
    he is called sven

5. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I think out of all the breeds I've seen in Australia, possibly Pekins are the ones most likely to be bred with temperament in consideration even by the average backyard breeder. (Not talking of enthusiast or professional breeders, here, just the average hobbyist).

I hear of a fair few American Pekins being nasty, but most Aussie ones I've known seem to be pretty decent, and everyone always mentions the temperament whenever they mention the breed, marking nasty ones as aberrant. Makes me wish more people also thought of other chooks along those lines, rather than tolerating nastiness in larger fowl as they often do, assuming that's just how they are. It's interesting how the oldest breed books referred to most breeds as being of good temperament, it's almost astonishing considering what a percentage of vicious roosters we have these days.

Best wishes.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Its is astonishing! There's absolutely no point in keeping a rooster with a bad attitude, especially when there are so many good boys who don't get homes. I also can't understand why someone would want to walk through their yard/coop/run with a stick, rake or other object to protect themselves. Constantly having to watch your back just sounds like it would take the fun out of having them in the first place. I have to admit, my roosters are my favorites. They're the first to come up and greet me and I love watching them hand their treats over to their hens. Plus, I have 2 children, so roosters with attitudes have no place here at my house!
    But yes, I agree that Cochins are one of those breeds where a great temperament is usually the first thing associated with them (and that it should be that way for all breeds, everywhere).

1 person likes this.
  7. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    By the way, Sven is a very handsome guy!

8. belgianlover101

Jun 26, 2014
    australia
    haha thx

9. belgianlover101

Jun 26, 2014
    australia
    yea he is s really good boy to the girls cause one of the hens was out of place then we got mr sven then she is all good and he is so adorable which i am really surprised cause we got him from a RSPCA shelter[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Sounds good, best wishes with him. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by