Pekin rooster with dull crown

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madonchickens, Oct 30, 2010.

1. madonchickens

madonchickens New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    Nottingham
    My blue partridge pekin rooster is about 15 weeks old, and a little character, however just lately iv noticed his crown has gone from deep red to a very dull pink.
    Im sure this is not normal is it? is he unwell, lacking something?

He has poultry drink in his drinker, and is getting feed of growers/mixed corn/grit and fresh veg occasionally. Anything else i should be giving him?
    He a happy chappy, running with a couple of older females.

Is it possible hes going threw a molt aswel? somewhere i read that they dont go through one until they are a year old? not sure how true this is though?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He isn't molting, not the actual big molt, though they do go through several minor changes of feathers as they mature. If he seems okay otherwise, not sure what would be wrong. Make sure he's getting good nutrition and his poop seems okay. You may want to back off on some of the corn--he may be eating only corn if you have it in the feeder. Mine would so I only put their actual feed in the feeder so they'll get what they need. He may be just fine.

3. madonchickens

madonchickens New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    Nottingham
    yeh thats what i thought, They only get corn scattered, and when it was in the feeder it was in a ratio of growers/corn/grit 3/1/1 so not that much really [​IMG]

maybe it will come back

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by