Pekin? Runner?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jannakaye, Aug 14, 2014.

1. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]
    What in the world is she? When I got her, her previous owner said pekin, but when I posted her on here to find out gender, everyone said runner or runner mix! Lol I'm worried she's underweight! Currently she's eating free choice cracked corn along with a large variety of fruits and vegetables. Do I need to put her on different feed? Is the corn not enough? That's what everyone's always fed their ducks around here, but after reading around on this site I'm afraid she needs something else. :/ if so, what feed do you recommend? I'm just sick thinking she's not getting the right food. [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Runner/Runner mix to me. Pekins would be larger and have a chunkier look. The food you're feeding is most likely fine, but if you're worried about her nutrition, I would recommended getting some commercial duck feed or chicken feed.

3. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Thank you! I think I'll grab a bag of commercial feed today just to make sure :)

4. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    I've noticed that when she eats she shakes her head around and most of the food is thrown all over the place. I checked her mouth and everything looks ok, but it seems like she isn't getting enough food. Is that just how she eats? I've never had a duck that did that.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Corn is not a well balanced diet, it's okay to feed it but she needs either a duck feed or all flock feed made for all poultry. My flock eats fermented feed and I find they shake their heads and it sticks to the side of the building or even me if i am standing close by. Just make sure she has plenty of fresh water deep enough to dunk her head in. but not too close to the feed bowl or you'll have wet feed. She does look more Runner than Pekin.. sure is pretty

6. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Ok thank you! I've given her some layer pellets until I can get her some good duck feed. :) I love her to death! She's the sweetest thing.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She looks very sweet, does she have access to grit, that's very important to.

8. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Yes, she has a pan just for girt. :)

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by