1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin setting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CharliesAngel, Aug 5, 2013.

1. CharliesAngel

CharliesAngel New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    North Eastern Ohio
    Looking for some advice. We have 3 ducks, a female Pekin, female welsh and a male Rouen. We had more but do to having to many males and predators we are down to 3. They are free range until evening when we put them in their hutch. Night before last we discovered our Pekin has made a nest in my Hostas at the front of the house. She has about 6 eggs she has layed in there. She had a fit when we wanted to lock up the other two ducks. Are Pekins good for hatching out eggs? Is is to late in the year to start this now? I don't like the idea of leaving her out at night to set. I don't have a incubator. Wouldn't even know what to do. This is just our second yr with ducks. But I also hate to throw out eggs that may have little ones growing in there. Thanks for any advice!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You don't want to leave her outside especially if you have already lost ducks to preds, she is a classic sitting duck and so are her eggs. Take her nest and all and put her into the hutch, if you can give her a dog crate large enough to move around in and put that someplace safe that will work too. If she leaves the eggs [which she might] at least she will be saved. but if you can lock her in for a day after moving her with food and water and solitude she may just settle back down. The thing is she wants to brood with out being too close to the other ducks but you have to make sure she is safe above all else. and some have had Pekins sit for the whole 28 days just depends on the duck. Nott too late unless you live where it's already getting cold but even then mama can keep the ducklings warm and toasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by