Pekin thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cochinrooster, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cochinrooster

cochinrooster Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I have posted a topic about this breed but only got one reply and it wasnt all to helpful so im hoping to get some reply with this thread to help me make a final decision on wheather to get these birds or not. I have a couple questions though... First is pekin just a british term for bantam cochin or is a pekin an entirly different breed. And if any body knows a good breeder or a seller of these birds around the central florida area it would be greatly appreceated (spelling) for any info about them. So with that go ahead and post pictures and any info about your birds such as noise level,behavior,broodiness, and the like and any info about my two questions thank you for any input and happy posting. P.S. if im not really looking to get chicks from my birds would it be worth my while to get a bantam rooster and LF hens?

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Do you mean the Pekin duck? I love those birds. I'm not sure about the Pekin...chicken? Does that really exist?

3. cochinrooster

May 18, 2011
    no im talkin about the chicken, yes it does exist it looks identical to a LF cochin but it is smaller. look them up on google or youtube to get a better idea:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Pekin is the name used for bantam Cochins in the UK. In the US, a Pekin is a large, white breed of duck.

Most of my bantam Cochins are nice birds, but I do have 5 extra roosters at the moment and they are a handful to manage! They all get to crowing before dawn and don't stop until about 10 a.m. I have a broody SQ hen right now, sitting on air. I also have a hatchery one who has hatched eggs twice, and while a ferocious mama hen, not much trouble for me to handle. (She's the one in my avatar.)

I REALLY like the bantam Cochins!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    A Columbian pattern bantam Cochin cockeral:

[​IMG]

Blue mottled cockeral:

[​IMG]

Black mottled pullet:

[​IMG]

Several of them, not sure how many hens are in there, but my lone frizzled cockeral is:

[​IMG]

6. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Oh! I did not know that there was a Pekin chicken [​IMG] It does look just like a medium sized bantam cochin [​IMG] I've got a Large fowl birchen cochin, and a black bantam cochin [​IMG]

7. cochinrooster

May 18, 2011
    ok cool thanks for those pictures although i've never heard of them being that loud? but im only planning on one rooster so even if he does crow the bantam crow isnt to bad. keep the info coming.

8. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
  9. cochinrooster

May 18, 2011
    ya i've been crusing around on that thread quite a bit..... so i guess with that thread already being started all my questions should be answered i guess:confused: im constantly on craigslist trying to find some bantam cochins that are close to me....ahhhhhhh why cant i be another year older so i can just drive to get them i cant get my dad to go he said when he's ready????? what ever that means;) so i guess that question still stands, anybody who lives in or around central florida that has these birds please let me know i just cant hardly wait to get my hands on some.

10. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    things like the wikipdia entry for pekin are what get me scratching my head...

Pekin bantams are a True bantam, a breed of miniature chicken which has no large fowl counterpart,(also known as erroneously Cochin bantams, although in the UK Cochin bantams are simply miniaturised versions of large Cochin)...

So in the UK standard, there are standard Cochins, banty Cochins, and Pekins, all classed as different breeds?... so why is it that in the US, Pekin is considered another name for bantam Cochin?... what differences are the Brits seeing that us folks here in the US aren't?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by