Pekin vs Welsh Harlequin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucklingDanni, Jan 22, 2016.

1. DucklingDanni

DucklingDanni New Egg

Jan 22, 2016
    Hey ya'll! I'm new to BYC [​IMG]

This upcoming spring, my family and I are planning on getting a few ducks! I've never raised ducks before but I've been doing a lot of research lately and I have my heart set on Pekins....or Welsh Harlequins.. I cant decide! Help!!!! If you guys could provide some insight as to which you prefer and why, I would greatly appreciate it!

**background.. we want the ducks for mainly egg laying, but also would like them to be a part of the family (we have a son and a baby on the way!). I've seen that Pekins tend to have more of a personality but WH are just so gosh darn beautiful!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Get both.

I have runners and a welsh harlequin. I had a couple of pekins as a kid, I don't really remember the ducks as a kid.

3. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    I have never own any of those breeds but i suggest getting welsh harequin and if later you want to have more you can get pekin, they usually sell pekins at the local feed stores. but that is just my thought, have fun! ducks are wonderful pets.[​IMG]

4. LeannS

LeannS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    That would be a very nice learning experience as pets, but would just get Hens. No need for a Drake. He would probably end up in the oven any way.

5. FaerieGlynne

FaerieGlynne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2016
    Clackamas County Oregon
    I'm getting ducks this year for the first time too! I'm getting a welsh harlequin, pekin, Cayuga, and a blue Swedish. How many are you getting? I would also suggest both if you love both!

6. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    We love our Welsh Harlequins! They are much friendlier and calmer than our Pekins.
    But we had the WH from three days of age. The Pekins were adopted at four months or so. [​IMG]

7. ariesgirl

ariesgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Ohio
    I've been thinking of getting ducks this year too, can you house chickens and ducks together in the same coop?

8. LeannS

LeannS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
  9. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    yes, you can, that's where i keep my ducks! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by