Pekin with bad hip?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NatureGloMom, Mar 29, 2015.

1. NatureGloMom

NatureGloMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    I noticed one of my Pekins standing bow legged not long after the cute fuzzy stage. That was about 2-3 weeks ago. Ever since I have been swimming it (I don't know the gender yet) daily, and exercise it in the back yard whenever the weather is good. I have provided vitamin supplements from the start, and feed 16% all flock crumbles. Nothing I am doing seems to make any difference, and now my Rouen (which I'm pretty sure is male by his behavior) is bullying it and encouraging the others to do the same. It's appears to have dysplasia of the left hip and is as bow legged as an old cowboy. It's right foot overlaps the left almost completely to the point that it scratches up its left foot while it walks, and has a serious limp. What can I do besides swimming it?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Does it look like this?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Disclaimer: I have zero experience treating this condition!

-Kathy

4. NatureGloMom

Mar 9, 2015
    Is it possible that this particular duck needs a higher dose than the others? I have been giving them all a supplement containing Niacin from the start, and out of 6 Pekin, and 8 Rouen only the one duck has anything wrong with it. It looks very much like example B.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  5. NatureGloMom

Mar 9, 2015
    Never mind. I just read over it again and answered my own question.I will feed it an extra vitamin ration daily, and will report back with any changes. Hopefully I will have good news to report in a few days.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Some ducklings just don't process the nutrients from food as well as others. So I'd give your duckling more niacin

Copied this from above:
    If you are not sure if your problem is due to inadequate niacin, give them some sort of additional niacin as soon as possible. You will not harm them if you give them too much niacin. And if they quickly recover, you know you found the problem. Nutritional yeast is another great way to get Vitamin B3[niacin into them] and is very safe.

2 people like this.
  7. NatureGloMom

Mar 9, 2015
    Sorry it took me so long to report back. I am happy to say that within a week my duck made a full recovery, and now I cant tell there was ever a problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by