Pekin with bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IndyJen, Jul 6, 2016.

1. IndyJen

IndyJen New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hey folks,
    Charley, my 5 month Pekin began limping last week. I noticed his leg was turned in and limping one morning. Immediately gave Epsom soak and found he had bumblefoot. It seemed pretty much on the surface. No swelling, or kernel. I removed the scab applied triple antibiotic ointment, wrapped his foot and placed him in a cat carrier inside. I did this 3x daily for three days and giving him lots of June bugs and started Puting an electrolyte and vitamin solution in his water.

He seemed to be doing better and I started including vetericyn spray into his cleaning regimen as well. Allowing they vetericyn to soak into the areas where I removed the scab before placing ointment, gauze and vet wrap.

I did this last on Sunday evening and wrapped his foot super well and allowed him to be out with his buddies. He still isn't found the best and I brought him in tonight for another soak, vetericyn and ointment treatment tonight. On the largest of the three bumbles a scab had returned which I removed. He had a very small one on his thumb, at least that's what I call it, which had gotten larger so I removed that and medicated as well.

I placed him out with the chickens and his duck buddy for the evening and went to check on him to find, somehow, he had gotten the wrap off his foot.

Ok so here are my questions..

In bumblefoot with a duck, how long do treatments typically take until you see alleviation of the issue?

Has anyone ever seen a duck's leg turned in from bumble? His joints feel great, no swelling and no broken bones can be felt. However, leaving him with the wrap on his foot and a partially wrapped thumb has left him unable to move well and I saw an injury on his longest toe on the bumblefoot foot in between the top and last joint. A fairly gnarly little bruise. AND to make matters worse we are leaving to go on vacation for a week with only a teen neighbor taking care of the animals.

Any and all advice is welcome and much appreciated.

2. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    My bumble duck had a black scab and a tiny foreign body. I used epsom salt baths and vetericyn for about 2 weeks. All this seemed to do was remind my duck how much she loves to swim in the bath tub and completely spoil her for carrying her around. Her foot didnt et any worse but it was'nt getting better either.

I didn't see any real improvement until I added hydrogen peroxide soak 10 minutes a day for the bumble foot once daily before bed. I also put a few drops of colorless ( clear) iodine on it once a week. I put coconut oil on it before i released her for bed. I didn't have any pain med free neosporin at home. Coconut oil is believed to have skin healing properties and may have antifungus and antibacterial properties.

I did the peroxide soak daily for 2 weeks. And applied iodine once each week.

I could have stopped the peroxide soaks after about the 10th day but i kept up until I was sure there was no infection left in the foot.

I also had a vet appointment for it because I'm a new poultry keeper and had zero experience with bumble. I didn't actually take her in because it was way to hot that day (94 at 10am which was unheard of for us at that time of year) and the vet thought it might be too stressful for her to travel in the heat for a non-urgent emergency.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @cayugaducklady

Did the scab ever come off that you noticed? Or did it just keep getting smaller and smaller?

4. cayugaducklady

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    Sorry for the delayed reply. We're still getting back on normal schedules from the holiday and an extended family stay-over.

The black scab got smaller every day until it finally dissolved away/dried up. I'm still not sure if the peroxide dissolved it slowly or if the iodine dried it up or it took both combined to do it.

Once it was gone healthy tissue started filling in and healthy fresh scrape/scab grew over the wound.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Brilliant[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. cayugaducklady

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I guess I should further explain that my hen didn't have an open actively bleeding bumble. I didn't do any surgery to remove the black plug.

I used it undiluted and my hen never reacted in pain or discomfort.

If it had been an open/bleeding/surgical wound I wouldn't have tried undiluted peroxide on it. Peroxide on fresh bleeding wounds burns and I didn't want to cause her undue pain.

If it had been an open/bleeding wound I would started with 50-50 dilute solution of sterile water and peroxide and see how she reacted. If she looked uncomfortable then I'd cut it down to 25% peroxide 75% water and so on. If she was ok with 50-50 I'd have increased it to either 75% peroxide and 25% water or straight to 100%.

I always wore sterile gloves when treating her. I have psoriasis and any little thing causes my hands to have a flare up. I also didnt want to cross contaminate her bumble with bacteria on my hands/skin. And secondly colorless iodine really really stains.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by