1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin with injured leg, HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jandmeg07, May 13, 2009.

1. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    Our Pekin Daisy's leg has been irritated for a couple weeks. We figured initially that she had just tweaked it and maybe had a sprain, but now I'm really worried. It is swollen, especially at the joint and the poor girl can hardly walk. She uses that wing for balance and lays around in the yard a lot nibbling what's around her because it must be painful to walk. We have helped her get in the pool (an old buried garden tub) and she's stayed in for a much longer time than usual, which we figured would be like physical therapy in the water for humans. It doesn't seem to be helping though and I don't know of a vet in the area that knows anything about ducks. She is happy and healthy otherwise and we haven't been feeding her anything lately other than what she gets free ranging. I hope someone out there can give me some advice, because we love Daisy very much and don't want her to be in any pain. She really seemed to like being massaged on her leg, but beyond that we aren't sure what else to do. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. mberry222

mberry222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    I had a similar issue with my pekin, Tinker Bell, a couple of months ago. Her joint was swollen and she couldn't walk to the point where's she'd just fall over. We ended up taking her to the vet (x-rays and all)and she had a bacterial infection for which they put her on antibiotics for probably close to 2 or 3 months. She got lots of swimming time to take the pressure off her foot and we put her in a separate area away from all the other ducks so she wouldn't be tempted to try and run all around the yard with her buddies.

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    It sounds like I have the same thing happening with my 3-year-old Pekin, Griselda, right now. She started out with a limp in one leg, ages ago, then she began stumbling when she walked just this past week, and now it's like she's lost use of that foot and keeps it curled up in a ball while she walks - which makes me wince with every step she takes, because I'm sure she's going to fracture something that way.

There are no "bumbles" on the bottoms of her feet, but she has developed superficial black spots on the tops of her feet and her legs. She's still laying perfect eggs, and eating and drinking like normal - I tried keeping her confined for a few days, but I finally relented this morning and let her outside - she was getting so dirty, and immediately stumbled into her pond - she seems a little bit improved today, but I think I'll be making a vet appointment.

[​IMG]

EDITED because I'm a grammatical moron [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I am voting for 2 things... either a bacterial infection in the joint which is common because of the uncommon weight of the duck. Or joint damage from the weight of the duck.

Pekins are meat birds, they get unnaturally large VERY fast.... and can over time cause massive damage to their legs. Our neighbor's first duck had problems with her legs, fell.... wattled terribley and had MANY issue for weeks on end... finally they noticed her uneven legs and found out the birds weight had actually fractured the bone in its leg trying to hold the weight of the bird up!

My pekin was just put down over leg damage 2 weekends ago. He however was attacked by a turtle and hit break in the toes would not heal.

I'm already worried about my female not getting leg damage.... she eats alot and has gotten pretty large pretty quick.... we're moving her out to free range with my last male and we're cutting her feed from the house.

I would try to find a vet locally who can help with birds.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    vfem - I'm sorry about your Pekin - that's what I'm worried about with my Zelda - because she's walking with her foot all balled up, I'm terrified she's going to fracture her toes [​IMG]

I'm hoping that, because of the strange black spots on the tops of her feet and her legs, it's something bacterial - I'm thinking Staphylococcus.

jandmeg07 - You might want to call around and find a vet that would be willing to take a look at Daisy. We talked to our regular cat/dog vet, and she said that, although she didn't specialize in birds, she had been trained on all animals, and would be happy to take a look at any of my ducks [​IMG]

It's so sad that Pekins are meat birds who tend to have these sorts of problems, because I think mine has more personality than any of my other, smaller breed ducks. She's my favorite.

7. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm sorry it's taken until tonight to get back on here. Everything you had to say was so helpful. I was reading them to my fiance and he said that when he picked her up yesterday and felt the leg, she didn't act like it hurt her at all, which it seems like if there was a break, she would've. She actually closed her eyes and laid her head on him like it felt good when he sort of massaged it. He has bursitis (not sure if I spelled that correctly) in his knee and it is and feels fluid filled. He said that's what her leg feels like which makes us lean more towards an infection. It did start out as just a little limp and then her foot faced more and more inward like a really bad bow leg and now she hardly uses it at all. Again, I really really appreciate all of your thoughts.

Vfem- I am so soo sorry to hear that you lost your Pekin. They really do become such a big part of our lives that it is just awful when we lose them. We lost three chickens last week, one that was the last one to make it out of last years flock. I miss her terribly. RIP Dixie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by