1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin with injured leg.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emilytb, Aug 23, 2014.

1. emilytb

emilytb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    As of yesterday morning one of my 5 week old pekins refuses to walk and is leaning on her left leg. She keeps her right leg out from under her and can't put any weight on it. It doesn't appear to be broken but there is swelling.

She eats, drinks, and poops but I'm very concerned. I've heard Epsom salt compresses are a good idea but is like some advice on how to make one for a duck leg. Right now she is in her own little corner of the pen with food and water but I'm considering bringing her in the house for the night so she isn't crowded by the other animals.

Any suggestions would be Sooo helpful.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This could be a niacin dif, what have you been feeding them? chicks starter doesn't have the amount of niacin ducklings need some more so than others, I'd get some plain niacin about 200 mgs not flush free and start giving it to them, put crushed into a gal of water daily till 10 weeks of age. Pekins seem have have this issue quite a bit since they grow so fast. Give her plenty of time in some water with supervision and just let her float and use her legs. this is a great way to relieve pressure and also build muscle. but make sure she doesn't try to jump in or out. Epsom salt compresses use warm water and a clean small towel soak the towel in the ES water wring out just enough so that it's not dripping wet. wrap around the leg and let it sit for as long as she'll let you comfortably. you can do this as often as you want. just don't let her drink the ES water it's also a laxative. Do you think she may have injured it?

3. emilytb

emilytb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    I've been feeding her a combination of all purpose chick starter and grower pellets. Every now and then I put an electrolyte/vitamin supplement in their water. My local feed store is closed but could I get a niacin supplement at a health food store possibly?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Most stores that have a vitamin section will had niacin just make sure it's not time released or flush free, a health food store may have plain and they for sure would have brewers yeast or nutritional yeast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by