Pekin with swollen ankle

Chickeninanest

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
Central Illinois
I'm at my wits end. For 5 months I've been battling a swollen ankle in a year old Pekin named Shirley. I've been to 2 different vets, neither were familiar with fowl. 1st one gave me antibiotics which I couldn't get Shirley to take. The second lanced and drained pooled blood, cleaned it and gave more antibiotics. The swelling went away but after about a week came back. His suggestion was to amputate her foot. I have been trying her penned to limit her mobility and recently lanced her ankle, again, to relieve the swelling. This time there was blood and some infection. ( not alot pus). I took the bandage off today and the swelling had decreased but as soon as she walked around a bit, swelling came back. Im at my wits end. With no avian vet around and with no info I can find searching the web, im hoping someone else has experienced this and can offer some guidance. ( Fyi...she acts fine other than the swelling. She's using the leg, not limping, eating well. Euthanasia is not an option)

Neither gave a diagnosis. 1st one did an exam and gave me antibotics. When I called her back to tell her they didn't work she said she would investigate further...never received a call back.
Went to another vet who took an xray to rule out infection in the bone then lanced it. He said no infection...just blood. Again, he didn't know but suggested if it persists I might think about amputating her foot.

Which would be better to order..2.5% or 10? Dosage? She weighs about 10lbs.
I truly appreciate all of the help!

I'll order the 10% right now. I have chickens also so it won't go to waste.

Do you have a scale you can weigh her on? An exact weight would be preferred.

If you are using the 10% Liquid Baytril 100mg per ml, and she weighs 10 pounds the dose would be.

10 / 2.2 x 10 / 100 = 0.45ml twice a day orally undiluted using a small 1cc syringe for no longer than five days.

One thing that I can think of that may not be the cure but sure won't hurt is B-complex from Tractor Supply! 1ml each day over a treat she'll eat right up may help quite a bit...or not but like I said, it sure won't hurt!

Attachments

• IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    422 KB · Views: 0
I’ve put her thread out for help. Sure sound like some kind of infection but not sure what would be best to do. What antibiotics has she been on?
[/QUOTE
The last was Zenquin..i don't recall the other one..it was capsules that I opened and sprinkled on her food but couldn't get her to take after the first time. The second vet said it was probably because it has an awful taste.
I started her on 1 tsp turmeric, B complex and fish oil today. I'm keeping her ankle wrapped with Vetwrap and have her confined.
Any help is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom