Pekin with Swollen Leg

MillerTime747

Hatching
Jul 18, 2022
I’m wondering if someone may have some recommendations for my Sophie. She’s been declining in walking for the past few months, she is only a year old. I find in the evening she does have a more difficult time walking and I usually end up carrying her in at night. In the morning she moves much faster but still wobbly. I’ve noticed her left leg is very swollen and warm to touch.

She hobbles when she walks and uses to wings to balance herself as needed. I often find her sitting on the bank in the evening rather that in the yard or pond like our other ducks.

All my ducks get nutritional yeast, BOS and meal worms mixed in with their feed in the evening, just feed in the morning and have free range of the pond and yard for bugs throughout the day. So I don’t believe this is a niacin issue.

I have one other duck that walks this way, but that has been since birth and her walking seems more in her hips rather than feet/knees like Sophie.

I’ll add as well, we don’t have a vet around here that deals with ducks. Our closest would be a 2hr drive.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thank you!

2DCCC394-0436-4057-A821-DBFAC47E56A1.jpeg

@Isaac 0
Welcome to BYC
Gosh that looks like she has infection in her joint. Possible fluid? For now I would keep her where she doesn't have to try and keep up. So she is resting that leg not over doing. Possibly an antibiotic might help. They can be bought online but lets see what Isaac has to say.
Poor baby that has to be painful.

@Isaac 0
Welcome to BYC
Gosh that looks like she has infection in her joint. Possible fluid? For now I would keep her where she doesn't have to try and keep up. So she is resting that leg not over doing. Possibly an antibiotic might help. They can be bought online but lets see what Isaac has to say.
Poor baby that has to be painful.
Thank you! What kind of antibiotics could I give her?

Sadly, your duck may have a joint infection. You really need to seek the advice of an avian vet if that is possible. The vet will know whether to drain the infection and the best antibiotics to treat with.

Last edited:
I agree a vet is always best if they are familiar with poultry. Not any around here but there are some. Just depends on where your located. Many of us have to be our own vets.

Back
Top Bottom