Pekin with unusual skin disease - anyone experience this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CoriM, Oct 23, 2019.

1. CoriM

CoriM Chirping

Jun 6, 2019
    This is my second post about my duck Penny. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever had a duck with this issue, and what the outcome was. I noticed bleeding from area above her wings a few weeks ago. The skin under her feathers was raw and red. I took her to the vet and he said he wasn't sure but could be necrotic dermatitis or gangrenous dermatitis. He said she had little scabs on other places on her body, and maybe she was immunosuppressed from a virus she had at some point. He put her on an antibiotic, which she took for almost two weeks. The area initially bleeding healed, but then seemed to move with a new area of raw tissue popping up every few days, just when I thought maybe she was going to get past this. Two days ago I thought she was pretty much healed up and then yesterday she had an area that was bleeding and looked worse than ever. I got a different antibiotic from the vet yesterday and we're now trying that. I'm really mystified because everything you read about the above mentioned diseases indicates that birds die quickly. Penny continues to eat and drink as normal. She's never lost any feathers or down, still loves treats, and loves to get in the pool, although I've been limiting that as I don't know whether it makes her wounds worse. I know the raw areas are sensitive and probably hurt her. If anyone has any knowledge in this area, I'd love to hear from you. I've scoured the internet many times and just can't find any disease that seems to fit what she's experiencing. I don't want her to suffer, and if this is a lifelong condition, will probably put her down. With this new antibiotic we're not allowed to eat the eggs for 30 days from when she finishes it. That means tossing all my eggs since I don't know which ones are hers - arghhh! But small price to pay if she could get better. Thanks all.

2. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I'm going to call on my go to duck person @Miss Lydia !

3. AviansLove

AviansLove Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I saw a video on youtube about a duck who would bleed constantly, this was caused by an 'open' ( not really) hole (scab) under the chin where the blood was delaying in clotting which caused unknown bleeding and scabs. It can be medically treated by a vet IF it is this problem, if not i'm not sure, although I work with poultry at the place I work at, i'm not the vet for the place, I normally only help physically find the problem, not do surgery.

4. AviansLove

AviansLove Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I'm am not completely sure so keep going to the vet with suggestions of what it could be or what you found to test it. I have never experienced what I mentioned so I cannot speak from experience, just what I found.

CoriM likes this.
  5. CoriM

CoriM Chirping

Jun 6, 2019
    @AviansLove That's really interesting, but sounds like mine might be a little different. The bleeding isn't really the main issue, but mostly the raw tissue, which seems to move around to different parts of her body - so far neck, shoulders, side below shoulders, and breast. There has been some blood on her feathers a few times, which has alerted me to the problem on her skin, but it's not that there's lots of blood when I look. It's just red and raw and looks bad.

AviansLove likes this.
  6. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    Are you positive that she isn't being picked on by any of your other ducks?

sourland likes this.
  7. CoriM

CoriM Chirping

Jun 6, 2019
    Yes, 100% sure of that. I spend quite a bit of time near them. They were raised together and get along well!

8. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    Have you ever seen her picking at herself? What do you feed (type/brand)?

AviansLove likes this.
  9. KaleIAm

KaleIAm Songster

Jul 13, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I've had my share of duck health issues in the last few years... but I haven't experienced this one. Good job taking her to the vet and giving her medication. If this new antibiotic doesn't work maybe you can try antifungals? Have you done testing of the skin?

One of my ducks had a birth control implant because she was egg bound repeatedly and it was very painful for her - it meant that for the remainder of her life we had to throw out all the eggs since one of them could have hormones in it. So I understand how frustrating that can be.

One way to deal with that can be to have her sleep in a dog crate in the coop, right next to where everyone else sleeps. You can put straw in it for her so she can be cozy. Since you are medicating her, you'll have her in your hands anyway and you can just put her right into the crate. Then collect all the eggs before letting her out in the morning, you know those aren't hers and are edible. Any eggs laid after letting her out have to be thrown out.

I don't know how painful her skin condition is, it can be hard to tell from a description. And you definitely know best. But if she is eating and behaving normally maybe it is too early to put her down? However, you are with her and know her and I just quickly read a description of her skin. Either way, you'll be doing the right thing. I've never regretted euthanizing before things got too painful, only after they got too painful.

10. CoriM

CoriM Chirping

Jun 6, 2019
    No, she doesn't pick at herself. I feed her fermented organic whole grains, plus kale, peas, etc. for treats. Same as the rest of my ducks who are all fine. I've also been giving vitamin B complex daily the last couple of weeks, and a little ACV in their food once a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: