Pekin X Call duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sharebear29, Jan 4, 2015.

1. sharebear29

sharebear29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Hello,

I'm not sure where to post this question.

I have a female Pekin duck and two (one white and one gray) male call ducks.

If I were to try to hatch her eggs is there any way of telling what size the babies would be.

The reason I'm asking is because if they are smaller than pekin would they be able to hatch. I don't know if they'd be able to peck their way out of the bigger egg.

Has anyone ever crossed a call duck with a pekin and were results successful?

Thank you for your help.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good question - I will be interested in reading responses. I have heard calls have some challenges hatching - there are members experienced with calls.

3. sharebear29

sharebear29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Yeah....I'd tried hatching calls before and was very UNSUCCESSFUL. Out of i think 24 eggs only about 3 hatched. idk if the mix of pekin will help or not. :(

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Lacrystol has some good information about call egg hatching. Take a look at her signature - there are links.

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Hello,

I'm not sure where to post this question.

I have a female Pekin duck and two (one white and one gray) male call ducks.

If I were to try to hatch her eggs is there any way of telling what size the babies would be. 

The reason I'm asking is because if they are smaller than pekin would they be able to hatch.  I don't know if they'd be able to peck their way out of the bigger egg.

Has anyone ever crossed a call duck with a pekin and were results successful?

Thank you for your help.
    [/quote

Calls are a challenge, Perkins aren't so bad. By mixing the two I doubt it if you have that challenge. But a way you could tell is the size of the egg. The bigger the egg the larger the duck the smaller the egg chances are it's got most of the call ducks features. However it may have the Perkins beak which it should not have an issue getting out of that shell. It's all going to depend on who's got the domineering gene the call or perkin.

Usually males have domineering gene but that's not a guarantee at all. I've seen females with just as strong of a gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by