Pekin x Indian Runner Pipped.. How long till it should be out?

Silkiebawkbawk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Laveen, AZ
My broody silkie hen has been sitting on this duck egg what seems like forever... And today, finally I saw that it was pipped. Luckily my boyfriend went home from work sick, so now he can keep an eye on it. I saw it pipped at 630 this am, it's 12:45 now.. Is it normal that it has not hatched yet? This is my first duck hatch, so I'm a little clueless. I had my bf moisten the membrane around the hole with boiled and cooled to warm water. I'm uneasy of asking him to help it out at all. He doesn't understand pipping ad zipping and whatnot. (heck, I barely do too!)

Is there anything I should have him do? I'm so paranoid.. It's a chilly day, probably about 50 degrees out. I'm tempted to bring i the pipped egg and put it under a lamp with damp sponges. Oye.

Please if you have any pointers, let me know! I'm especially hoping this egg hatches. It and two other eggs are all I have left of my pekin boy Peewee and my indian runner girl Curry. My idiot pomeranian mix dug under their pen fence last saturday and mauled and killed both of them. I'm so sooo upset about it and am hoping these little guys can carry on for them. :(

My broody silkie hen has been sitting on this duck egg what seems like forever... And today, finally I saw that it was pipped. Luckily my boyfriend went home from work sick, so now he can keep an eye on it. I saw it pipped at 630 this am, it's 12:45 now.. Is it normal that it has not hatched yet? This is my first duck hatch, so I'm a little clueless. I had my bf moisten the membrane around the hole with boiled and cooled to warm water. I'm uneasy of asking him to help it out at all. He doesn't understand pipping ad zipping and whatnot. (heck, I barely do too!)
Is there anything I should have him do? I'm so paranoid.. It's a chilly day, probably about 50 degrees out. I'm tempted to bring i the pipped egg and put it under a lamp with damp sponges. Oye.
Please if you have any pointers, let me know! I'm especially hoping this egg hatches. It and two other eggs are all I have left of my pekin boy Peewee and my indian runner girl Curry. My idiot pomeranian mix dug under their pen fence last saturday and mauled and killed both of them. I'm so sooo upset about it and am hoping these little guys can carry on for them.
sad.png
Let your silkie hen take care of things she knows more about hatching than we do.
fl.gif
they hatch.

do I need to worry about the humidity levels then? Or since it's being incubated by an actual hen should she have that under control? In the several times Matt has gone out to moisten it today he said the membrane-like papery stuff is dry.

I had him snap a picture the last time he was out. Since you have pictures to go off of, any additional advice?

(I suppose matt thought it was necessary to label the bill with a cutesy name. lol)

X2 the more you expose it to air the drier it will get. she has humidity under her in perfect temp. looks like it's doing great.

*sigh* okay. Looks like I have a case of the antsywannatouchyhelperouterness.
hmm.png
I promise I will only look ONE more time tonight when I get home from work, then the egg wont hear peep outta me. ...till morning.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom