Peking Duck Eggs... First Time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 8, 2015.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I am hoping to get Peking Duck Eggs this week from a local farm here in N. NJ. It will be my first time hatching duck eggs. I have hatched chicken eggs from the same farm and have put them in my hova-bator incubator w/ turner that fits duck eggs. I am trying to do as much research as I can before I get the eggs so that I know what to expect.

Will Peking Duck Eggs fit in the chicken egg turner? I'm not sure if they are jumbo but according to the website it just says that the duck eggs will hatch into Peking Duck.

What do Peking ducklings eat? I had bought a medium size bag of chick feed last year for chicks (chicken), but the incubation was a total fail (mostly on my part). Can ducklings eat chick feed? Do you think the food is still good? It is dried food in a paper bag that has been closed for a year. Oy.

Any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated.

2. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Duck eggs are a little different than chickens, First humidity should be a little higher like 50-55%. Also everyday after day 7 you should mist the eggs and let them sit out for 15 minutes, this mimics the mother duck leaving to go for a swim, also it helps soften the shell. When it comes to hatching ducklings take forever! Sometime even 3 days! When it comes to food there is a food at most hardware stores and tractor supply here is what it looks like. I've always used it and it works GREAT!

It's looks like this expect with a chick and duckling
    [​IMG]

3. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Also during hatching you must lower the temp to 97* - 98*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by