Peking duck help please.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bat man, Mar 14, 2015.

1. bat man

bat man New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    Hello

I have a really unhappy peking duck. A while ago he got sick (loosing weight, not eating and coughing alot). We took him to the vet and he was put ono Entrovet for a while which did eventually cure him. He did seem a little weak afterwards but weren't too concerned as our other duck who got it received the same course of treatment and recovered after a while. However, now my peking is over his flu but seems to be lost the use of his right leg and is unable to walk around. He struggles to even turn on his stomach and is unable to stand.

Is there anything anybody can suggest, I am really not too sure what to do. I have read a post suggesting that a lack of vitamin B can cause paralysis in poultry so I am giving him brewery yeast. Hopefully that might help a bit.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get back with the vet - did they do any sensitivity testing to be sure that the infection was not resistant to that antibiotic?

The duck may have some neurological issues related to the infection - a stroke, perhaps, from being so ill for so long.

I would definitely give vitamins - poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics twice a week.

I would give a cup of shredded greens like kale or colorful lettuce once a day - not spinach, it interferes with calcium uptake.

Add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric once a day to the feed - it is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Something else to consider is that the duck has injured his leg - check the entire leg, especially up at the top of the leg - sometimes things get wrapped around the leg and cut off circulation.

Try some T-Relief cream, just a tiny dab, massaged into the leg at bedtime. And a couple of times a day, Epsom salt compresses (don't let the duck drink the solution - it is a laxative).

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How is the patient?

4. bat man

bat man New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    Hi Sorry for this very late reply. While looking after my duck and completing my MSc, there hasn't been much time. My duck is still not a happy chappy. We Have a Belmer, which has helped him a bit and we are constantly giving him warm water baths in the bath tub.

We have also been trying to rub his legs and it seems like he has lost the use of them. He pulls himself around with his wings. He does still each his food with great enthusiasm every day though.

I'm not too sure what to do, I think a visit to the vet may be in order but with the 6 dogs, 14 ducks and 2 budgies, the vet bill is quiet high this month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by