Peking ducks in winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kat1446, Jan 20, 2013.

1. kat1446

kat1446 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    We have 4 week old Peking ducks in the bathtub along with Cuyogas - the same age. There are 8 all together. We had no
    idea how fast they would grow. Even with changing the hay out every day, I am concerned about the health and cleanliness.
    We have a wonderful pond, but the temperature is supposed to be in the single digits tomorrow. With at least 6 weeks of
    possible cold weather, we just don't know what to do with them. Can anyone offer any suggestions - without telling us how
    stupid we were? Thanks

2. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have a peking outside and we are in NC. She has a house but sometimes doesnt even sleep in it. She also goes in the pool when its cold!!! I cannot imagine but i think they handle the cold well. She is 8 months old . Where are u? They will also huddle together

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Ducklings cannot survive winter temps until they are fully feathered. Thats usually 8 weeks.

Have you built them a coop/house outside?

A lot depends on where you are. Below freezing temps in winter require more elaborate housing. If you are in a more temperate area, they still need wind breaks and a shelter from rain and predators.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. kat1446

kat1446 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Our adult Peking is on our pond 24/7, but she is about a year old. I'll be glad when these babies are old enough for that.

5. kat1446

kat1446 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    These babies (8 wks) are fully feathered, but don't look like adult feathers (very fuzzy). We live in Wv and it was 7 last night and will be again tonight. I guess we will stay in the big bathtub for awhile. Your great pyrennes is beautiful. We have 3 of them on our farm. One of them actually went down to the barn (abt. 150 yards) and brought the adult duck up to our house. He never hurt her - just liked to pick her up and keep her close. She finally found the pond to keep him at bay. They are awesome dogs.

6. kat1446

kat1446 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Does anyone have plans for a floating nest house to keep predators away?

7. Marwan

Marwan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Winter should be no problem for ducks over 8 months a year preferably. Duckling must be kept warm either by thier mothers of kept indoors as they cannot remain warm and will die. Adult ducks can be supplemented with a nice thick layer of hay which can make a comfy warmer bed.

My ducks in thier first snow and when i touched there feet they were warm even thoe they were walking about in snow. They are a year and half old

8. yorkensu

yorkensu New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    Hi; this s my first post. We live in South GA and have a pair of Peking Ducks. The roam free on our 1/2 to 2.5 acre pond since June. Tonight the temp is to go down to 20 deg. Unusually cold for us.
    I have built them a floating nest because the snakes kept getting their eggs during the warmer season. She has 27 eggs in it but does not incubate - wrong season I guess. She has stopped using her house at the pond in October after the snakes got her last eggs. The feeder is next to the duck house. The "floater" is close by but has a tether to prevent it from floating to shore. Guess the snakes will swim to it when it gets warmer. Will see.
    ---yorkensu

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by