Pekins and Cochins

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BantamBanter, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BantamBanter

BantamBanter New Egg

Jan 1, 2017
    Hello All,
    would like to know key differences between these two and whether they are compatible. Can anyone help me out?
    Kind regards,

Chris[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The simple answer is that the main difference is location. In some countries they are called Pekin, in other countries Cochin.

Different countries have different Standards of Perfection (SOP) used to judge their chickens. A couple of examples: In the UK standards Araucana can have tails, in the US Araucana cannot. Different countries recognize different colors and patterns for certain breeds.

I don’t know what the differences in the SOP in a country that calls the Pekin versus one that calls them Cochin, but they are essentially the same bird. It’s my understanding that, at least in some countries, Pekin are limited to bantam where Cochin can be either bantam or full sized.

I’m not sure what you mean by “compatible”. If you mean can they live together peacefully, the answer is yes. If you mean can you cross breed and still be able to show in your country them you need to look at how well the birds meet the SOP you are breeding to.

3. BantamBanter

BantamBanter New Egg

Jan 1, 2017
    Thank you a great help
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by