Pekins and runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chasing ducks, Jun 27, 2010.

1. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I went to my first chicken swap as a seller yesterday and was shocked to only find a market for my pekins and my runners! And that was only if they were already almost full grown. No interest in the swedish, blue or black, or any other breed for that matter and none in my 4 week olds! I figured they'd go fast at $6 a piece, it's warm enough here that they don't need heat lamps anymore and they're used to being outdoors. Nope! Just my big ol' 12 week old pekins and my 12 week old runners, and even they were kind of looked askance at because they weren't laying yet. Do people really expect you to buy or breed these ducks, pay to feed them for months and then sell them at rock bottom prices? I was offered $5 for a pair of fawn and white runners I had that had excellent conformation! Very erect standings, thin bodies and heads, etc. It cost me more to feed them to 12 weeks of age than that! Is the duck market really bad this year or did I pick a bad market to go into? Don't get me wrong, I love my ducks, but I don't have 70+ just to have for pets, I planned on selling off my extras and keeping a breeding stock. It was a very discouraging day.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it just might be that market. Do you have other venues? Have you tried a craigslist ad?

Is this market you sold at more of an auction where people get rid of unwanted animals more than a place where quality livestock are sold?

3. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I've tried craigslist and had some success but I have also had people looking for snake chow and only wanting adult layers. I ask $8-$10 per fully feathered bird, depending on breed and sex, $4-$6 for non-full feathered birds again depending on breed and age. This wasa chicken swap I was at and they usually seem really busy, this one was not so much. Maybe it was the location. I'm not giving up, just got discouraged for a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by