Pekins- boys or girls? Update: We have an egg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cluckcluck42, Jul 17, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    So I will try to get a video of them quacking, there is definitely someone making what I consider the typical duck mwaaaaaaagh mwaaaaaaagh noise. They are not nearly as loud as I thought they would be though. One is a Magpie mix, the guy with brown on his head. He is almost constantly doing this funky head move. I haven't seen anyone mating yet. No eggs. They are nearly a year old, I have had them for about 4 days.

Here they are in their temporary duck house. Holy crud, do ducks make a mess of their water. We got them a kiddie pool and every day it is soooooooooooo amazingly dirty! :O

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Oh and my gut tells me they are all boys even though I don't see any drake feather. I only paid 5 bucks each for them so no big loss!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is the sound loud?. Females are much louder than the males.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Since I've never had ducks I'm not sure what to compare it too. They are definitely talkative when we get too close, but not sure if the noise indicates which sex they are. At this age shouldnt they have drake feathers? Or be laying lol

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    At this age they would have already had their drake feathers. Also moving to a new place often interrupts laying behavior.

What a female sounds like :

6. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    they should have a curly drake feather if they are males, they may have been stressed hence why they aren't laying. They are just like any other poultry if they have been stressed they stop laying for a bit. Just give em time, they should have drake feathers if they are that old though so I believe they are females. UNLESS the previous owner removed the drake feather to make people think they were females so they would be more likely to sell..... con artists..... worst things have happened

7. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    We have a girl! Someone started laying eggs a few days ago!!!! Have NO idea who though- no one is particularly loud.

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was sure I had all boys.

8. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Yay!!! U gonna incubate it???

9. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    No, I checked it and it's not fertile. [​IMG] I haven't seen any of the ducks doing the dirty, so it's not that surprising. Do ducks need to be in deep water to mate? I only have a shallow pool for them.

Duck eggs are HUGE! They have such an interesting feel to them too, I love the waxiness. What is that all about!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by