Pekins built a nest.... couple it be going broody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by porkchop48, Sep 22, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    One of my pekins built a nest and laid her eggs in it... Could it be going broody?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is possible, yes. My runners will build nests, and often they become broody. I find that leaving wooden eggs in the nest makes it more likely that they will decide to sit on the nest. But my runners sometimes only get half broody, not really finishing the job.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, it's very possible.

4. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    eggs number 3 is now in the nest....

What should I do?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:she will lay until she has a clutch which could be anywhere from 3 to 20 so you'll just have to watch to see when she is through. she won't start to brood till she is through, though she may sleep on the eggs at night, when she is finished laying and starts to brood, then remove the eggs you don't want her to hatch. It's called birth control. but if you have room for all the ones she is sitting on then let her have them all. Best of luck and keep us updated. [​IMG]

6. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:it could go broody but just because it builds a nest dosn't meen it will. most say pekins arn't great moms or broodies but mine (when i used to raise them) where real good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by