Pekins feathering in Yellow?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, May 25, 2010.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I mean, I really do like the color, it's quite pretty, but I assumed when they molted they'd feather back in all white. They are about 3 months old (hatched in first week of March) and have been molting but it's the feathers coming in that are definitely a soft yellow so they look two toned right now but each day more yellow. Even DH noticed this morning and made a comment about it & that's not typical of him. I feed them Purina flock raiser and scratch plus they forage every day and eat plenty of grass, weeds, bugs and such. Soooo, Buttercup is beginning to look her name. [​IMG] I am assuming here, that it's their diet causing this or could it be something else? Has anyone else seen this in their white ducks?
    And will winter with less access to greens see their feathers change back to white?

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I love their 'first color' It's like a buttery yellow color, SO PRETTY!! Mine did that also and then got lighter as she matured.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahh, "First Color!" That's nice name for it. [​IMG] So it doesn't have to do with their diet at all? To bad they can't maintain some of that two toned look. It's very pretty. Thanks, Bleenie! I'll have to tell DH about it.

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I know that people planning on showing white ducks won't feed them cracked corn because it does cast a yellowish tone over their feathers.

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:That's interesting... I would never have thought corn would do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by