pekins - good or bad ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalloverabh, May 21, 2010.

1. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

right so ive deiced to get these pekin ducklings (yes im sure im getting pekins this time) and what are this breed like? what are goods and bads of keeping them? how are they compared to the call ( loud,size, temperament) and wold yo say this is a good duck (pet)

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. animalloverabh

6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Especially after 13 minutes.... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  3. animalloverabh

6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  4. chicks & ducks

chicks & ducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    I'm only new to ducks myself. We have 3 pekings and 2 roens(7 weeks old) It may be different for others but for us the pekins are calmer than the rouens. I guess that's the right word. Once I pick them up and start feeding treats they calm down and sit in my lap. The 3 rouen girls NEVER calm down when being held, they don't like being picked up at all and scratch to high heaven! Plus because the pekins are larger I find them easier to hold. Mine don't make much noise unless there's something wrong or they need something. I hear my rouens MUCH earlier in the morning than I hear the pekins. I'd be happy to have more pekins any time, but that's just me.

5. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    I have Pekins, Pekin/Swedish mixes and muscovies. I love them all. The Pekins are great. They are very reliable laying me eggs every day They can be loud, but usually only when they are startled, when they lay an egg they annouce it, and when they see me with the treat bowl. Other than that, they are not loud at all. Sometimes they just "talk" among themselves, but it isn't loud.

Mine are not real tame, except for Sunny, my 3 week old that I am raising from day 1. The Pekin mixes were 3 months old when I got them and had never been handled. They were scared to death of everything. Now they are better and sometimes will eat treats from my hand, but they are very skittish. The pure Pekins were grown when I got them (aporox. 1 year old) and they too, hadn't been handled much, so they are skittish too, but not as bad as the pekin mixes. I think with handling and proper treatment, any pekin can make a great pet. They have wonderful personalities (as do the muscovies). Sunny is turning into a wonderful little pet. She follows me everywhere. She has been to school for show and tell 5 times now (different schools/daycare/preschools). She lets the kids pet her, etc. Not a problem at all, but I am raising her that way.

Pekins are great but I don't have much else to compare them too, except muscovies. I love them too.

Kathy

6. wcasey911

wcasey911 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    Female Pekins are fine, but my experience with Males is not that good. We have one and during mating season he is downright mean and will chase anything. He bites our toes and nothing I've done seems to stop him from doing it again. I've actually been thinking about re-homing him because of his aggressiveness. Right now we literally cannot do anything in the yard without him being aggressive towards us.

7. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I love my Pekins!! I hatched them last year and they just turned one in April. This is my first time owning poultry of any kind and so far its been great! I have survived my first harsh Illinois Winter with them, and they all survived their first with me too lol. I have 5 pekins, one of which is crested, and one indian runner pekin mix. They never leave the yard, and stay in a pack at all times. If one goes left they all go left. When its time to heard them into their house and run they all know exactly where to go. I havent had a problem with them being aggressive toward me even during mating. They are messy and poop a lot but are worth it!

8. animallover1

animallover1 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    me and my bf have 7 pekins and 8 ancona the pekins r slower then the ancona and more calm but they r all cut and i love them all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by