Pekins introduced to older chickens today

Chris Bender

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
Today we finished their new house and installed in ground pool. ($7.48 at Walmart) everything was good to go and we put our 2 ducks in the run. We had 7 bantam mixes about 16 weeks old, 4 hens of various years, and a 3 year old banty roo. The little bantys charged and attacked both ducks, it looked like a rooster fight on TV, even the older hens were jumping and kicking at them. It was crazy. I was able to separate them but man, I admit, I was hot....

The ducks have grown up with a batch of 12 red mixes. They are best buds and snuggled in their cage until I moved them out this afternoon. The chicks love them until they come in from the tote and shake the water off in the sleeping area of the brooder. Madder than wet hens takes a new twist there!! Anyway, I was planning on harvesting the older birds later this year. That happened tonight.

Tomorrow the babies who happen to be fully feathered now inherit a almost empty coop. We left 3 banty hens.

So, here is the question, has anyone else had problems like this with ducks and chickens? I haven't read of anyone having this problem. My birds turned downright nasty and aggressive. It was weird! What happened?

The other 12 are the size of the bantys already so I'm not worried, they grew up with the pekins so the integration there is a non issue.

Anyone know what went down with these guys and gals?

A little confused by your post. I got that you have been brooding the ducks and some chicks together. Were you introducing all the new ones at once or just the ducks? Was it the existing flock that attacked the ducks or all the chickens?

Any way, did you allow the existing flock a chance to get used to the ducks by putting them in a place where everyone could see and smell each other? Or did you just put the ducks straight in?

Sorry, was a long night. The existing flock did get to see them some in the brooder. I thought as separate species the existing flock would not pay them any attention. They don't any other bird or creature they come in contact with. I placed the 12 chicks the ducks grew up with in the now empty (saved 3 bantams) coop. The ducks whole demeanors changed. They made their loud happy chirps and quacks, ran to the chicks, the chicks ran to them. It was awesome! They've all been playing and eating happily all morning.

Anytime you introduce a new bird to the existing flock you either put them in a cage where the others can see them or in a pen where the older flock can't get to them. Do this for about a week and they should get along after that.

Now you have the chicks and the ducks that were in the brooder togeather in a seperate coop? They've been raised togeather and all get along. The only problem is the ducks will make a mess with the water as you well know. I've had one male duck that was brooded with chicks and when he got older he tried to mate with the hens. They can severly injure a hen. I have ducks and chickens that freerange in the yard now and not one of the male ducks try to mate with the hens. You'll just have to keep an eye on them when they mature and make sure you don't have a duck that mates with the hens.

Before combining our flock the birds were able to see each other and socialize. Basically they got to know each other without intruding on space or being able to attack.
When we lifted the gate to let them mingle we put out tons of treats all over. The birds were too busy getting treats to really notice each other. By nightfall they were sleeping together.
Before introducing the chicks to the roosters (all we had left of old flock) we kept them in a cage in the rooster coop. At first we put the cage on the roosting shelf, then we moved the cage to the floor of the coop for a week. By the time we let the chicks out, the roosters were familiar with them and seem to feel protective of them. No issues.
For the ducks-We have what is basically two coops side by side. There is a little door for them to pass from one to the other. We kept that door blocked with chicken wire for a few weeks. The ducks were given a dog kennel to sleep in if they preferred on their side of the coop. We often found the ducks and chicks sleeping against the chicken wire, basically next to each other. When we opened up the door the chicks were the first to venture to the other side.

I've heard you can introduce new birds at night when the chickens are sleeping and can't see. By the morning they don't realize they have a new flock member.

Thank you all for the info and suggestions. We will definitely do things differently in the future. They are all living together happily now. The ducks were brooded with the chicks. Both are female so I'm not worried about horney boys chasing the hens!! The ducks do however like to sleep outside and the chicks want to sleep with them. I read another post about locking them in the coop for a few days and they will come back at night. That's what we're doing now. Everyone is in the coop. I figure Thursday I'll open the door and let them out then see if they come in at night. I'll also do some needed work to their run while they are locked up. I'll keep everyone posted and get some pictures up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom