Pekins or runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Mar 17, 2013.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Somebody abandoned these at the local raptor center (where my next door neighbor is education director--and knows I'm a softie for waterfowl):

[​IMG]

My bet is on runners, but could be pekins. Both are commonly sold in feed stores around here.

The thing that annoys me most is the girl told the raptor center that she "found them" in the park. Which is stupid. She was also carrying a bag of Dumor feed and said she found them at "Dumor Park." And began to cry when she was told the raptor center does not accept ducklings. Obviously, they're hers. So, first she stupidly bought ducklings just for fun. Then she irresponsibly decided she didn't want them any more. And then she lied about it to the raptor center staff.

The whole thing makes me see red.

Trying so hard not to be ugly about it...

Anyway. These sweeties are hand-tame, possibly imprinted. They cry and cry when we walk away. And I'll keep them because just because. But geez. All I needed was one more thing.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Whoops, I got carried away and forgot to ask: Which do you think? Runners, pekins, or something else?

3. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish folks would actually think about the animals before buying them.

I would say that the two are pekins, but I'm not quite sure. Espeacially the second one has the typical rectangular frame of a pekin and both have round heads what would also support the pekin-hypothesis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by