Pekins that didn't lay all summer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jennifer S, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Jennifer S

Jennifer S New Egg

Nov 20, 2016
    Hello- I have two female and one male Pekin ducks. They are about three and four years old. As soon as I brought the girls home (at under one year) they started mating my two year old male and laying eggs. LOTS of eggs. However this year, prior to spring they mysteriously stopped laying completely. I water from a heated bucket and then change to a rubber bucket in spring. At first I blamed the bucket change (all though this didn't stop them last year.) Then I thought maybe one was egg bound-atrip to the vet said no. So all summer they have been free ranging my yard for a few hours at a time,then back into their 10x10 run and their full size garden shed at night. We are finally below freezing and have a light dustin gof snow so it's time to consider night heat lighting again. I keep the shed temp above freezing overnight and during the day with two heat lights. One has a dark coating for night and the other is bright. It stays above freezing and up to fortyish degrees even if I leave a small door open for them. I give them water for bathing outside in a rubber tub all winter, which is a pain but I carry buckets in the morning around 10am. It justoccurs to me that it's possible that the lighting is affecting the laying? The breeding activities have slowed way down and there are no nest building signs at all...There have been no eggs all spring and summer, but I had at least two to four eggs all winter previous to spring. The ducks were sitting the same nest so it's hard to tell who was laying, but right now there have been zero eggs. I searched for any signs of laying outside or of eating the eggs themselves inside, I can find no signs of anything. I had a couple strange eggs before they stopped that were a couple gel and then an egg inside an egg. I give them the oyster shell and laying feed. I stop feeding corn in spring though, after feeding it all winter. I did find raccoon tracks once in some puddles in my yard, but not sure if the presence of that creature would bother them enough to stop laying. I can't find any signs of the raccoon around the shed or fence and I'm pretty sure he (or anything else) cant get in or be a threat. Any ideas at all?? Thanks.
    Jennifer

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Jennifer S Welcome to BYC!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/742668/pekin-duck-club
    I think if you ask your questions here you might get some answers.

I don't have Pekin so don't want to venture to say might might be causing your ducks not to lay. They aren't that old but are they over weight? being over weight may cause them not to lay.

3. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    How often are your ducks mating, over mating will also cause egg production to suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by